180     0 
News   Nov 30, 2021
 402     0 

Metrolinx: Finch West LRT

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Simple answer, nope and they are still paying the price for it today:

Let's hope all the conduits they are building under the guideway on Finch will be resilient to any kind of flooding issues.

A difference between New York and Toronto that people are not realizing is that New York is at sea level. A lot of their infrastructure is below sea level. Toronto isn't nearly that bad. Parts are below the lake level, but not much of it.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A difference between New York and Toronto that people are not realizing is that New York is at sea level. A lot of their infrastructure is below sea level. Toronto isn't nearly that bad. Parts are below the lake level, but not much of it.

The differences are a bit more complex than that, but you are right.

Toronto, however, does have many areas in floodplains.

Now, we don't, for the most part, run continuous underground wire through out valleylands.
But we do have a number of roads that dive low, both into valleys, but also under highways, railways etc, where surface water build up could be a concern.
But there are also several ways to address that, including where your points of entry are to any hydro vault/conduit, drainage design inside same etc etc.

Its important to say, there are different ways to underground.

Simple cable, narrow conduit (not for a human, just space around the cable); trench, but also human-scaled corridor.

All of these come with different costs, and different benefits.

Last edited:

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pumps can fail, concrete can crack after old age. Then there is the extreme case where something new like the Boston Big Dig project was soaking in salty sea water on day one.

Remember that time the Keele to Ossington had to shut down case the transform room was flooded from a fail pump.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Had my first look at Finch west of the 400 today and will be a blue moon before I do it again. Took me 20 minutes to go 2 lights after getting off the northbound ramp. Sat for 6 lights to cross the southbound off ramp after 3 lanes became 2. Problem was that every time space open on the other side of the light it was fill with off 400 traffic as the 2 lanes became one before Arrow and drivers making the left hand turn onto Arrow. Once pass that intersection, it was wide open into war torn land that zig and zag all the way to highway 27.

Nothing worth while shooting other than the portal at 27. Could see the trench on the west side of 27 for building the tunnel section to Humber College as I drove by the construction gates to the site. No place to shoot this section other than with a drome. Saw Mississauga, Brampton YRT buses as well TTC on 27. Humber will be a nice hub for the 905 systems.

Other than road tore up with various work taking place, I would hate to use this road daily as its worse than Eglinton was. Maybe will have a look in 2023.

Will take a look going east of the 400 some day when I have time. The weather change my plan for going to the east end of the city as well running 2,5 hours behind schedule that allow me to see the west section.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Oct 21
Since I was sitting in traffic, took these shots
51627189062_73bc8efa5f_b.jpg

51627188982_e005b8f5bd_b.jpg

51628869930_3f50ae2f14_b.jpg

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Track installation is progressing eastwards from Jane to Sentinel. They were pouring concrete for the foundation near Romfield Ln where the portal is just east or there. Almost all the centre poles have been installed in the area, only a few left to do near Romfield. They still need the hangers before they could install the OCS cables. No work has been done on the intersections however.

I don't know how people survive traffic between Weston and Jane. Buses are tracking 15-20 minutes to get through that area in the afternoon rush leaving huge gaps.

Last edited: