News   Apr 16, 2024
 82     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 687     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I am not sure if you followed the discussion. It was about Ontario line extending westward. More importantly it was about people dreaming about OL's extension. When you are dreaming, you can build a line wherever you feel it makes sense to you. Fantasy proposals don't need to worry about costs or other constraints.
Fair enough. Who knows where the Ontario Line will be extended to in the future, in Toronto anything is possible.

Hell we can even see a proposal to the Toronto Islands knowing politics in Ontario.

Hats off to the construction team for moving this project forward as rapidly as they are. The Finch West bus has been a clusterfuck for as long as I've been alive. We can debate the merits all we want, but regardless this project is going to be a massive quality-of-life upgrade for tens of thousands of Torotonains. I'm very pleased with the progress, and am eager to see commuters enjoy it. Hopefully this is just the first of many such projects.

How many people on Finch West bus on this LRT route continue their journey east of Finch West station? If majority of the people don't get off at Finch West (which I doubt) then we are creating a linear transfer for a lot of them.

How many people on Finch West bus on this LRT route continue their journey east of Finch West station? If majority of the people don't get off at Finch West (which I doubt) then we are creating a linear transfer for a lot of them.
Considering the in most time periods, the Finch West bus do not continue east of Finch West Station and you have to get another Finch West bus, you can safely assume most people don't travel east. If this isn't the case, TTC wouldn't have split the route. The demand is also significantly higher west of the station with more frequent service and use of artic buses.

Considering the in most time periods, the Finch West bus do not continue east of Finch West Station and you have to get another Finch West bus, you can safely assume most people don't travel east. If this isn't the case, TTC wouldn't have split the route. The demand is also significantly higher west of the station with more frequent service and use of artic buses.
Its the same thing on most east-west line that intersect the Yonge line. Eglinton is another great example of transferring from one bus to another bus to go past Yonge. Look at the streetcar route and you will see how many (few) stay on the car regardless which direction it going. Some riders may walk a stop away from Yonge to get on a car since they know they have a better chance of getting a seat with all the riders getting off at Yonge.

photos taken June 4 2021
20210604_151422.jpg

20210604_151428.jpg

20210604_151424.jpg

20210604_151426.jpg

Its the same thing on most east-west line that intersect the Yonge line. Eglinton is another great example of transferring from one bus to another bus to go past Yonge. Look at the streetcar route and you will see how many (few) stay on the car regardless which direction it going. Some riders may walk a stop away from Yonge to get on a car since they know they have a better chance of getting a seat with all the riders getting off at Yonge.
Here we are talking about a split of service that's not on Yonge. I can understand Finch buses terminating on Yonge but I wasn't aware that they also spilt at Finch West.

Here we are talking about a split of service that's not on Yonge. I can understand Finch buses terminating on Yonge but I wasn't aware that they also spilt at Finch West.

And the reason they split it at Finch West isn't necessarily dictated by the established travel patterns, or by where the majority of riders want to go. I can think of two other reasons.

First, a completely sensible one, but temporary: construction-related disruptions. Splitting the route spares the Keele - Yonge section from those distructions, and also makes the management of the west-of-Keele section a bit easier.

And the second reason: they might want the riders to get used to transferring at Finch West. After the Phase 1 of LRT opens, the riders will not bug Metrolinx with requests to extend to Yonge, until Metrolinx actually gets the funding for such an extension.

From link. Service Changes Effective Sunday, June 20, 2021

New Route Numbers
In preparation for the opening of the 5 Eglinton Crosstown and 6 Finch West LRT lines, routes now bearing these numbers have been changed.​
  • 5 Avenue Road is now 13 Avenue Road
  • 6 Bay is now 19 Bay

From link. Service Changes Effective Sunday, June 20, 2021

New Route Numbers
In preparation for the opening of the 5 Eglinton Crosstown and 6 Finch West LRT lines, routes now bearing these numbers have been changed.​
  • 5 Avenue Road is now 13 Avenue Road
  • 6 Bay is now 19 Bay
What about that new 19 Castlefield route? I assume the TTC will give the route another number designation?

1623017008794.png

Back