News   Apr 26, 2024
 227     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 417     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 547     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Looking forward to seeing the TTC cripple operations on the Finch West LRT just like they do on every streetcar route in the city!
Actually, its the Toronto Transportation Department that cripples the TTC, by bowing before the single-occupant motor vehicles. After transit "improvements" are implemented, they get reversed by the Transportation Department after "complaints" from the single-occupant motor vehicle drivers.

Actually, its the Toronto Transportation Department that cripples the TTC, by bowing before the single-occupant motor vehicles. After transit "improvements" are implemented, they get reversed by the Transportation Department after "complaints" from the single-occupant motor vehicle drivers.
Transportation Services certainly plays a big role in screwing around with the TTC there's no mistake about it. However, the TTC plays an active role in the day to day crippling of services through various methods i've listed in a couple of posts i've made in the past.

The fact I can get across the city in half the amount of time on a bustituted route compared to streetcar operating on the same route is almost enough to tell one what's wrong in this city. Now this wont be the case on Finch because of the numerous stops along the corridor, the TTC will still find multiple ways to slow down services significantly.

Surface LRT is completed relatively fast (compared to other transit projects). There is less room for delay as everything is at ground level.
100% - especially when there's plenty of space to divert/move traffic lanes and modify utilities.
Only big bits of risk on Finch West are the MSF (it's well on the way), vehicle delivery and the Humber College & Finch West stations and "tunnels". Everything else will happen very quickly.

Transportation Services certainly plays a big role in screwing around with the TTC there's no mistake about it. However, the TTC plays an active role in the day to day crippling of services through various methods i've listed in a couple of posts i've made in the past.

The fact I can get across the city in half the amount of time on a bustituted route compared to streetcar operating on the same route is almost enough to tell one what's wrong in this city. Now this wont be the case on Finch because of the numerous stops along the corridor, the TTC will still find multiple ways to slow down services significantly.

The entire TTC streetcar network currently uses single point switches instead of dual point switches like what is in place on the subway network as well as the Eglinton and Finch West LRTs. I believe as derailments can occur more frequently with this style of switch due to the switching direction not being easy to reliably verify at speed, it was decided to have the streetcars stop before proceeding to try and lower the number of incidents. This is combined with the fact that there are numerous track switches throughout the downtown core, which can make for a sluggish trip.

I wouldn't rule out excessively padded round trip times which would intentionally slow down operations for operations sake, but that's more of a system-wide issue that mostly affect heavier-used bus and streetcar routes alike.

The entire TTC streetcar network currently uses single point switches instead of dual point switches like what is in place on the subway network as well as the Eglinton and Finch West LRTs. I believe as derailments can occur more frequently with this style of switch due to the switching direction not being easy to reliably verify at speed, it was decided to have the streetcars stop before proceeding to try and lower the number of incidents. This is combined with the fact that there are numerous track switches throughout the downtown core, which can make for a sluggish trip.

I wouldn't rule out excessively padded round trip times which would intentionally slow down operations for operations sake, but that's more of a system-wide issue that mostly affect heavier-used bus and streetcar routes alike.
The point that you mention is just 1/10th of the reason why streetcar service is horrid across the city. There's much more blame to be put on the feet of the TTC, and to be frank they've shown 0 interest in fixing the situation.

The point that you mention is just 1/10th of the reason why streetcar service is horrid across the city. There's much more blame to be put on the feet of the TTC, and to be frank they've shown 0 interest in fixing the situation.
A lot of it is $$$ restrictions put on them by politicians who don't use public transit of any kind.

Back