News   Mar 28, 2024
 117     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 286     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 651     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Agreed with the above - I don't think it will take long before the TTC is asking for fare gates to be installed at Humber College!
It's likely that the Alstom Citadis Spirit will have automatic passenger counters (like the Flexity Outlook streetcars) - so the amount of "taps on" at stops can be compared to the number of people getting onboard the LRT...

It's sad that the surface platforms won't have fare gates, which makes it really easy to ride for free (especially after you transfer onto another line).

It's sad that the surface platforms won't have fare gates, which makes it really easy to ride for free (especially after you transfer onto another line).
Wouldn’t surface level fare gates be very easy to get around? Not sure it’s worth it.

That's why they should force people to tap when transferring and exiting from a station. If they do both, this would only leave free riders between surface stops.

That's why they should force people to tap when transferring and exiting from a station. If they do both, this would only leave free riders between surface stops.
The system should be a tap on tap off no matter where you are in the system or what mode of travel, subway, LRT, bus. TTC would then have detailed data on how the system is being used currently. currently they get where people are getting on and where they transfer but not where they leave the system. you do not have a fulsom picture of your riders needs

Why have a tap system? Why not have a sensor that if you don't have some sort of POP it alerts a plain clothes TTC fare enforcement person who simply walks up to you and hands you the fine and removes you at the next stop. That technology likely is already in use somewhere.

That's why transit should be free.
Well, in a world of plenty that would make sense. In a world where we can only spend each dollar once, it would make sense to that those dollars and expand the infrastructure or service before we made it free to use.

Why have a tap system? Why not have a sensor that if you don't have some sort of POP it alerts a plain clothes TTC fare enforcement person who simply walks up to you and hands you the fine and removes you at the next stop. That technology likely is already in use somewhere.
Become a bit less skittish about using facial recognition and this would probably become quite easy.

Reminds me of this commercial from years ago. Still waiting.

The system should be a tap on tap off no matter where you are in the system or what mode of travel, subway, LRT, bus. TTC would then have detailed data on how the system is being used currently. currently they get where people are getting on and where they transfer but not where they leave the system. you do not have a fulsom picture of your riders needs
Technically, it's already possible to extrapolate a pattern from just tap on data. It just takes more work.
Unless it's a one-way trip, you'll tap on to get home eventually; and for majority of the trips it will be at or around the station you got off at.

I'm a big fan of tap-on/tap-off because you'll use the same behavior regardless of whether you're on the TTC/GO etc.
ooh, this. I live in Whitby now but grew up in North York using the TTC with presto (lol i've never used cash or tokens in my life). Nowadays I have the habit of forgetting to tap off at Union sometimes because when I lived in TO I never tapped off, and I just feel paranoid everytime I take GO as I can never remember if I did tap off -_-

Anyways, I assume tap-on-tap-off on the TTC or some local agency would make it much easier to implement distance based or zone based fares in a future where the systems are integrated.

Back