Metrolinx: Finch West LRT

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not it feels real. Streetcar tracks in North York for the first time.
Keep in mind the portion between Sunnybrook Park and O'Connor on Line 5 is still in North York and those tracks were placed in long before Finch West. Even then, this is not the first time Streetcar tracks were placed in North York.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not it feels real. Streetcar tracks in North York for the first time.
Wrong!

Tracks existing before the buses on Yonge Street. From link.

TTC 412 northbound at Stop 16 (painted on pole, a common practice) in Thornhill.

In this bucolic scene TTC 412, with its headlight lens swinging in the breeze, is southbound for Toronto immediately north of Centre Street in Thornhill.

Toronto Transportation Commission 411 is southbound on the North Yonge line nearing the crest of Hogg's Hollow hill; in a few moments it will swing east across Yonge Street into the Glen Echo terminal located at what was then the boundary between North York and Toronto. Except for street running through Richmond Hill, the entire route was on a private right-of-way, most of it on the side of the road. Note the simple railway crossing sign at the left. October 10, 1948. Julian Bernard

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought this was an LRT, not a streetcar.
I mean, streetcar tracks and LRT tracks are the exact same thing, lol. What differentiates LRT from streetcar is not the tracks or trains, but the priority and speed/stop spacing.

Anyways, reeeally happy to see how quickly Finch is progressing (well, it seems pretty fast). I wonder if there's any plans to redevelop those 3 corners at Jane and Finch? Last I lived in that area, the strip plaza on the southwest side was *dead*, JnF mall seemed to be on the decline (maybe it's been revived), and only Yorkgate mall seemed to be alive and bustling. I think the area would benefit from more mixed income housing (Regent Park style?), but the only redevelopment I remember seeing in this area is for the grassways which is falling apart, but that's like a whole 10 minutes walk south of this intersection. After all, this is the intersection of two of the busiest surface routes in NY, and potentially an LRT+BRT-lite crossroads in a few years after they implement bus lanes on Jane.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, streetcar tracks and LRT tracks are the exact same thing, lol. What differentiates LRT from streetcar is not the tracks or trains, but the priority and speed/stop spacing.

Anyways, reeeally happy to see how quickly Finch is progressing (well, it seems pretty fast). I wonder if there's any plans to redevelop those 3 corners at Jane and Finch? Last I lived in that area, the strip plaza on the southwest side was *dead*, JnF mall seemed to be on the decline (maybe it's been revived), and only Yorkgate mall seemed to be alive and bustling. I think the area would benefit from more mixed income housing (Regent Park style?), but the only redevelopment I remember seeing in this area is for the grassways which is falling apart, but that's like a whole 10 minutes walk south of this intersection. After all, this is the intersection of two of the busiest surface routes in NY, and potentially an LRT+BRT-lite crossroads in a few years after they implement bus lanes on Jane.
No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk. Especially given the time and situation. It would be hard to convince anyone who doesn't live in the area to move to the area. The LRT would indeed make it a reliable 5 min ride to the subway but wouldn't get people to live there.

slapped_chicken

Member Bio
Reaction score
No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk. Especially given the time and situation. It would be hard to convince anyone who doesn't live in the area to move to the area. The LRT would indeed make it a reliable 5 min ride to the subway but wouldn't get people to live there.
I understand that, but this area will not get any better without departing from being a solely low income area; it needs more economic diversity. If grassways could get redeveloped just south of here, I think there is potential for this intersection. I mean, Lawrence-Weston isn't known to be a really nice part of the city but somehow condos are still being built there. Moss Park is changing too. So are some areas of Scarborough, although I couldn't name any since I'm not too familiar with there. Certainly, I think JnF is unique as I'd imagine several people would likely name it first when they think of "dangerous neighbourhoods in Toronto", but it can't be like that forever :confused:

NoahB

Member Bio
Reaction score
All the condo builders in St James Town didn't get the memo apparently.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk.
I disagree ... if anything that would let them maximize profits. I don't think the racism here plays the same extent as you'd see in places like Chicago ... where you can buy empty lots near subway stations not far from downtown for less than $10K.