News   Apr 26, 2024
 527     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

^I take the Hurontario announcement as good news, actually. Yes Ford may have forced some cuts, but having extracted his quantum of reduction, the project has a green light to proceed, and now it’s his deliverable to get done.

I’m sure he would have preferred to cancel Finch, but the ghost of the gas plant scandals is still floating around the Legislature. I bet the cancellation penalties in the Finch contract were carefully crafted to prevent any cancellation.

- Paul

^I take the Hurontario announcement as good news, actually. Yes Ford may have forced some cuts, but having extracted his quantum of reduction, the project has a green light to proceed, and now it’s his deliverable to get done.

I’m sure he would have preferred to cancel Finch, but the ghost of the gas plant scandals is still floating around the Legislature. I bet the cancellation penalties in the Finch contract were carefully crafted to prevent any cancellation.

- Paul
Gas plant was the government cancelling their own plans.
The PC's could cancel Eglinton LRT and it still wouldn't be a Gas plant scandal.
It's not advisable though.

I came here after the Hurontario news expecting everyone to be in a down mood predicting Finch to get axed completely. I’m legitimately surprised that Ford isn’t killing every LRT in sight.
If the comments by a member over in the Hurontario are correct, and that this change has been known in inside circles since early 2018, it predates the Ford government. Though I too am surprised that they haven't simply spiked Hurontario, and it appears to be alive. Finch was always going to be harder to kill ... but it too lives.

If the comments by a member over in the Hurontario are correct, and that this change has been known in inside circles since early 2018, it predates the Ford government. Though I too am surprised that they haven't simply spiked Hurontario, and it appears to be alive. Finch was always going to be harder to kill ... but it too lives.

I actually have more faith in these lines getting done now that the PC's have taken their best shot, swallowed hard, and blessed them - than under the Wynne Liberals when many things were promised but the total envelope was beyond anybody's serious belief.

What is really galling is ML's lack of transparency..... if there were affordability concerns a year ago, these ought to have been put on the record instead of hiding them for political reasons. I am so sick of the political veneer that all this decisionmaking is coated with, and the obfuscification/non-specificity of what has been launched and what is just a paper plan for a future decade. The candy shell is thicker than the meat underneath.

- Paul

I actually have more faith in these lines getting done now that the PC's have taken their best shot, swallowed hard, and blessed them - than under the Wynne Liberals when many things were promised but the total envelope was beyond anybody's serious belief.

What is really galling is ML's lack of transparency..... if there were affordability concerns a year ago, these ought to have been put on the record instead of hiding them for political reasons. I am so sick of the political veneer that all this decisionmaking is coated with, and the obfuscification/non-specificity of what has been launched and what is just a paper plan for a future decade. The candy shell is thicker than the meat underneath.

- Paul
The stunt they just pulled with Bombardier as an example of this.

At the insistence of Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor Doug Ford.

Nope, this happened before Rob took office

The intial plan as seen in this 2009 paper was for the full finch line to yonge.

After Dalton McGuinty cancelled transit funding in March of 2010 the project was scaled back to just Keele and Westward to Humber, with the "Phase 2" of the line (Keele to Yonge) deferred indefinitely into the future.

Last edited:
you guys are aware that they can still cancel it and just use the alstom trains for the crosstown right?
Not without modifying the already-completed carhouse For Eglinton.

I'd think the bigger issue would be the $1-billion or so contact they've already signed to build the line as a PPP, rather than the fate of the 17 Alstom cars they are using for Finch West.

Sure, they can do it in theory ... but seems unlikely now, almost a year after the election. The under-construction stuff they wanted to kill, was announced within days.

Nope, this happened before Rob took office

The intial plan as seen in this 2009 paper was for the full finch line to yonge.

After Dalton McGuinty cancelled transit funding in March of 2010 the project was scaled back to just Keele and Westward to Humber, with the "Phase 2" of the line (Keele to Yonge) deferred indefinitely into the future.

So sad looking bad. A decade passed and we got nothing.

So sad looking bad. A decade passed and we got nothing.

Chin up. Eglinton LRT is almost done, and it was the most ambitious of the projects.

Not Transit City related but we also got the UPX and Line 1 extension.

UPX is actually a godsend to the Weston neighborhood. people are using it like a subway line to get downtown.

Not as much as id like to have seen but hardly nothing.

Not without modifying the already-completed carhouse For Eglinton.

I'd think the bigger issue would be the $1-billion or so contact they've already signed to build the line as a PPP, rather than the fate of the 17 Alstom cars they are using for Finch West.

Sure, they can do it in theory ... but seems unlikely now, almost a year after the election. The under-construction stuff they wanted to kill, was announced within days.
Thing is it still would not be as bad as the gas plants. I remember when del duca was parading around the Alston purchase in bombariders face as a result of the delays. We'll see when the budget comes.

Last edited:

Back