News   Apr 19, 2024
 884     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 661     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I don't like it ... it should be on Finch.
I don't care how close it is ... so how does connecting to other routes work walk from the hydro lines to Bathurst or Keele ...

There are a lot of businesses directory on Finch anyway ... at least from Finch to Keele.

Your right the connection @ Yonge will be difficult either way.

My concern with the hydro corridor is that it limits the placement of stations to locations where pedestrian connections to Finch Avenue can be placed. This might require some expropriation to make the connections (very few, but there are some), or could require an additional bus route along Finch. And, if there is an additional bus route along Finch, will people migrate to the LRT?

The LRT will have to run in the street west of the 400 no matter what and a route along the corridor could offer substantial travel time savings. I'm positive that people would migrate to an LRT.

Paris T3 tram? but I'm not sure if it has signal priority.

That's one line of three. How about the other two?

I don't like it ... it should be on Finch.
I don't care how close it is ... so how does connecting to other routes work walk from the hydro lines to Bathurst or Keele ....

The buses stop at the LRT line to make a connection?

Almost all of the Bloor-Danforth line doesn't run under Bloor or Danforth.

I think this Finch West LRT should serve Malton. I think Maltonians would be outraged that they aren't being included in this plan. They're just as, if not more, unprivileged as Malvernites.

to help give a picture of the distance. Finch to the hydro corridor is about 300 metres, slightly farther than Yonge St to Bay St (250 m), and closer than University to Bay (350 m). (measured using live maps from Queen/Yonge & Queen Bay intersections)

Almost all of the Bloor-Danforth line doesn't run under Bloor or Danforth.

Yeah but that's 60 metres away - not a good comparison.

I think this Finch West LRT should serve Malton. I think Maltonians would be outraged that they aren't being included in this plan. They're just as, if not more, unprivileged as Malvernites.

I'm with you on this one. Westwood Mall makes more sense than the airport. Via Finch & Darcel is one option, with Humberwood & Morning Star the other. But both have width issues, as well as the community probably opposing an LRT on neighbourhood streets, combined with the city of Mississauga likely being unwilling to force the issue.

Yeah but that's 60 metres away - not a good comparison.

That's true, but the point is that no one really cares if it's actually in/under the street, what matters is how accessible it is. As long as it's close. Like I already pointed out, Greenwood station on the Danforth line is actually 275 metres away from Greenwood & Danforth, but no one seems to mind. And intersecting bus routes stop right at the station.

one does, one doesn't I think... I'm not sure how fast these go... T3 is supposed to have an average speed of 20km/hour.

In my experience, the philosophy that seems to drive most new LRT systems could be summed up as "running in the street only when no other alternatives are available to serve the same destinations".

Looking closer at the map, I noticed the LRT end north of the Humber College campus, just west of Highway Twenty-Seven. That area is currently very low density. While the campus can be described as medium density, to walk to the campus one has to go through a low density residential area. The crowds will be large if they do so.

I think that the LRT should end at Humber College Blvd, or turn onto Humber College Blvd. and use the college's parking lot as a terminal. There is a hydro line that parallels Highway Twenty-Seven that could be used to go south off Finch to reach Humber College Blvd. and go west along Humber College Blvd. to serve not only Humber College, but also the William Osler Centre Etobicoke (aka Etobicoke General Hospital).

Looking closer at the map, I noticed the LRT end north of the Humber College campus, just west of Highway Twenty-Seven. That area is currently very low density. While the campus can be described as medium density, to walk to the campus one has to go through a low density residential area. The crowds will be large if they do so.

I think that the LRT should end at Humber College Blvd, or turn onto Humber College Blvd. and use the college's parking lot as a terminal.

It's just a map of the study area - be patient and I think you'll find that Humber College is the plan.

I think that the LRT should end at Humber College Blvd, or turn onto Humber College Blvd. and use the college's parking lot as a terminal. There is a hydro line that parallels Highway Twenty-Seven that could be used to go south off Finch to reach Humber College Blvd. and go west along Humber College Blvd. to serve not only Humber College, but also the William Osler Centre Etobicoke (aka Etobicoke General Hospital).

Humber College definitely should be served by this line.

Extension to the Airport is a good idea as well. There will be a body of customers who live in the vicinity of Finch West and want to get to the Airport either for air travel, or because they are employed there.

Extention to Malton is not such a great idea though. Malton is no further than the Airport, but very few will need to travel between Malton and the area around Finch West. So, the implication is that Maltonians use this LRT to get to a subway line, and then travel somewhere else. This is a long trip for daily commutes. I'd think that enhanced GO service would be more useful for that area.

Extention to Malton is not such a great idea though. Malton is no further than the Airport, but very few will need to travel between Malton and the area around Finch West. So, the implication is that Maltonians use this LRT to get to a subway line, and then travel somewhere else. This is a long trip for daily commutes. I'd think that enhanced GO service would be more useful for that area.

I think that linking Malton to Humber College and to better connections with the TTC and to north Etobicoke (where there are many industrial jobs). Not everyone will make the commute to the subway, just as not everyone in Malton wants to go downtown. Enhanced GO service will come, but it's not something that precludes better local transit to Malton.

Besides, the beauty of light rail is that we can have branches that go off in different directions.

Besides, the beauty of light rail is that we can have branches that go off in different directions.

I think BRT is even better suited to that than LRT...and also better suited for Finch West.

And like CDL I agree that this should go in the hydro corridor.

Yes, it should run directly to the Humber campus, at least to Humber College Blvd. Woodbine and the airport are obvious next steps (not Malton).

I don't really think I'd like to see it continue along Finch East. Finch East is a totally functional route...why risk breaking what isn't broken by 'fixing' it with 'improved' transit? Unlike Finch West, Finch East is not crippled by traffic and has little to no prospects of Avenueization (Finch East has a very limited potential ridership base). Finch East has 3 areas of any consequence and all 3 are right at intersections that will/should get higher order transit (Don Mills, Warden, McCowan). Finch East does use up a lot of buses/drivers, but articulated buses could reduce this, as well as improvements to other lines that 39ers would gladly switch to if only service was improved on them (Sheppard subway, GO lines, etc.).

The hydro corridor vs in street running is a tricky issue, but I think I have to pick running it in the street over the hydro corridor (and not just because the corridor should be reserved for a GO-like rail line across the city :), though if such a line was built, they could keep the Finch West bus).

The hydro corridor could really slash travel times but only if it takes full advantage of the corridor and bypasses some intersections with slight grade separations (trenching wouldn't be too expensive) and if walking times are not too long (people will walk a few blocks towards a 'hidden' subway station but they won't do the same for surface transit). They'd need to build a bridge over the reservoir, or go around it. Running in the street would be much better for the Dufferin-Yonge segment, but having it connect with Finch station in the corridor would be better...perhaps it could run up Duplex or Beecroft.

Of course, it could always run in the hydro corridor as far as Finch West station, then return to the street for the stretch over to Yonge...part of it can be on street and part in the corridor since it's not like the majority are going to be riding the whole length of it; it can be treated as two distinct segments. Looking at a map again, it could run in the corridor as far as Dufferin before dropping back down into the street.

Back