News   Apr 24, 2024
 982     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 629     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Better examples would be the projects that Ford did cancel shortly after being elected.

My point isn't that he won't cancel it because he can't. It's that they would have done so back in June 2018, rather than incurring another 7 months of costs on the project.

They haven't even hinted at cancelling it. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they'd cancelled it last year. I think that boat has sailed.

Which god ... Bacchus?

Koalemos perhaps ...
Those were quick wins imo. My guess is that they are trying to delay starting consutruction because of the sunk costs as much as possible.
God, are we ready ??
We just gotta pray :D

Those were quick wins imo. My guess is that they are trying to delay starting consutruction because of the sunk costs as much as possible.

We just gotta pray :D

Ford is clearly doing this with other transit projects....note how GO RER, oops, GO Expansion has seen absolutely zero forward motion since the election. In fact, ML hasn’t even announced its next Board meeting yet.

But with Finch, the contract is signed, and it’s in the contractor’s hands. If Queens Park is allowing/creating delay, the contractor will be claiming damages. That won’t stay quiet for long.

So, while it’s counter to the whole Ford DNA, I still think that this train got out of the station before Ford could kill it. He may not be happy about this, but he is shrewd enough not to create a second gas plant scandal. Pick your battles applies.

Time will tell.

- Paul

Ford is clearly doing this with other transit projects....note how GO RER, oops, GO Expansion has seen absolutely zero forward motion since the election. In fact, ML hasn’t even announced its next Board meeting yet.

But with Finch, the contract is signed, and it’s in the contractor’s hands. If Queens Park is allowing/creating delay, the contractor will be claiming damages. That won’t stay quiet for long.

So, while it’s counter to the whole Ford DNA, I still think that this train got out of the station before Ford could kill it. He may not be happy about this, but he is shrewd enough not to create a second gas plant scandal. Pick your battles applies.

Time will tell.

- Paul
Next board meeting is on Feb 7 (Link)

Time will tell.

- Paul
We'll see. He is more savvy then Rob at this point and he could always just send the contractor to Hamilton. When MTO says construction begins it begins. Also, the budget...

Future Humber College station:

DxMhVx7XQAYc05T.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/FinchWestLRT

I don't remember this being discussed on this thread but I just saw on the TTC subway map that FinchWest station does not have a washroom/restroom.

What a huge omission/mistake!

I hope Metrolinx ensures that Mosaic Transit Group designs and builds washroom facilities at both Humber College and Finch West Station during LRT construction.

The seniors cohort demographic 65+ is going upward on the statistical graphs.

I don't remember this being discussed on this thread but I just saw on the TTC subway map that FinchWest station does not have a washroom/restroom.

What a huge omission/mistake!

I hope Metrolinx ensures that Mosaic Transit Group designs and builds washroom facilities at both Humber College and Finch West Station during LRT construction.

The seniors cohort demographic 65+ is going upward on the statistical graphs.

You mean those bushes on the southwest corner at Highway 27 and Humber College Blvd. are not for that purpose? From link.

1548009063725.png

^^^Funny ha ha..seriously, availability of washroom facilities is a major issue for seniors and disabled individuals at TTC transfer points and at subway stations in general. Not a laughing matter...

I will ask the next time I'm at the FinchWestLRT community office.

^^^Funny ha ha..seriously, availability of washroom facilities is a major issue for seniors and disabled individuals at TTC transfer points and at subway stations in general. Not a laughing matter...

Nor is it a laughing matter for anyone who is neither senior nor disabled, but badly needs a washroom. I'm not sure why you bring age or disability into this.

- Paul

Nor is it a laughing matter for anyone who is neither senior nor disabled, but badly needs a washroom. I'm not sure why you bring age or disability into this.

- Paul
Installing washrooms is just the right thing to do.
But invoking the disabled, you can invoke the ODA and bring the law into it.

Installing washrooms is just the right thing to do.
But invoking the disabled, you can invoke the ODA and bring the law into it.
The building code used to require (and I assumed still does) washrooms at any rapid transit interchanges built after a certain date (1980s?). I'd hope that the extension of the station for the LRT includes such washrooms.

And it looks like it does, as the rendering of the new Finch West LRT station that Metrolinx tweeted last week shows the symbol for washrooms heading towards Line 7. One hopes that when they renumbered this line to Line 6, that they kept the washroom!

1548029183030.png

Last edited:
The building code used to require (and I assumed still does) washrooms at any rapid transit interchanges built after a certain date (1980s?). I'd hope that the extension of the station for the LRT includes such washrooms.

And it looks like it does, as the rendering of the new Finch West LRT station that Metrolinx tweeted last week shows the symbol for washrooms heading towards Line 7.

View attachment 171595

They'll be planting (if not already) some bushes for just that purpose at Finch West Station. :p

Over at Humber College, there is the (expanding) Etobicoke General Hospital. Hopefully, one doesn't have to go through triage to access the washrooms. :eek:

And it looks like it does, as the rendering of the new Finch West LRT station that Metrolinx tweeted last week shows the symbol for washrooms heading towards Line 7. One hopes that when they renumbered this line to Line 6, that they kept the washroom!

View attachment 171595
Please remind me what Line 7 is?

Please remind me what Line 7 is?
No idea.
A small point, but hopefully Ford drops this silly, non-intuitive, transit line numbering system.
Use the name. Use the colour. Even use the first letter of the name. but these numbers are meaningless.

Back