1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 567     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

DmVOi5IW4AAFBSq.jpg:large

From link.

Come out and visit the @metrolinx #FinchWestLRT team in September! We will be at locations all across the Finch West corridor, talking transit and sharing project info

By saying "government is committed to building transit" and not saying "building the Finch LRT", they're could be saying "no" to Finch LRT. Need a more specific answer, please.

Honestly, I think it's just them catering to their audience. Finch is too far to cancel now (if they do, they will certainly not have a chance at leading in QP for at least 2-3 election cycles). They, and their supporters can't really accept "LRT" as a viable technology so they will say "transit" to placate their voting base. My two cents anyways. I hope they don't cancel it...

Based on my Hurontario meeting, all 3 plan LRT lines are still on course to be built as plan.

As to when the line will go into service, that date will be set by the contractor/TTC, with Metrolinx making the change once the contract is awarded. Metrolinx has left the completion date of the line up to the contractor and it will play a part as who gets the contract along with cost. TTC will operate the Finch Line and they will set the opening day after been turn over to them. The other 2 lines will have someone operating the line as part of the contract.

With today's announcement by Vic Fedeli, Ontario's Minister of Finance, our 15 billion deficit is really concerning to me how this will impact current LRT projects under construction and those that are planned.

I sure hope at least the Finch West LRT survives cancellation consideration. The exiting costs would be extremely high with a signed agreement in place.

I think Finch West cancellation is a good candidate for Ford to flex muscles. Illusion of saving costs without getting a tonne of people upset or losing votes.

I think Finch West cancellation is a good candidate for Ford to flex muscles. Illusion of saving costs without getting a tonne of people upset or losing votes.

Finch West has already reached financial close. Ford can cancel it, but the full price will be paid whether it is built or not.

Last edited:
Finch West has already reached financial close. Ford can cancel it, but the full price will be paid whether it is built or not.

I wasn't sure about that. I thought it didn't happen until after writ dropped so there was an opportunity for cancellation.

I wasn't sure about that. I thought it didn't happen until after writ dropped so there was an opportunity for cancellation.

You're thinking of the windmill thing where it was questionable whether authority had been granted to the department to give that type of approval.

Going from a signed agreement by the Minister to financial close is business as usual, something departments are fully authorized to follow through on.

With today's announcement by Vic Fedeli, Ontario's Minister of Finance, our 15 billion deficit is really concerning to me how this will impact current LRT projects under construction and those that are planned.

I sure hope at least the Finch West LRT survives cancellation consideration. The exiting costs would be extremely high with a signed agreement in place.

I am thinking that any that an be cancelled, will be. We may see things akin to Eglinton Subway happen.

Back