News   Apr 19, 2024
 427     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 758     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 762     1 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I guess my biggest annoyance will be OC Transpo overdid it with the doors.. There's a door opening tone (in the video at 23:17) and it then announces "Doors Opening" in both languages, then a door closing chime then both languages again. They could have skipped the announcement part and just used the chimes, since there's an opening and closing version
Has to deal with vision impair folks in Ontario under OADA requirements.

Been on systems in the US that nether show/announce stops or door closing/opening since its not part of their ADA requirements.

Here's hoping that the Crosstown will have better launch luck then either Ottawa or KW

TheRecord.com: Ion train defects delay higher-frequency LRT service in Waterloo, Kitchener.
They'll have the same problems as the streetcars. MDBF might be higher than the streetcars since stations are further apart thus the doors don't open as much. Given that the streetcars are near the end of the run and they are still coming in with plenty of defects, there is no hope for these LRVs to be delivered in better conditions. Hopefully these are just teething issues that will be resolved within a year.

Does anyone know if the centre poles on the Alstrom cars are structural or are they just some option that Ottawa went with for some reason as they seem to be a real hindrance to people getting around the train?

Does anyone know if the centre poles on the Alstrom cars are structural or are they just some option that Ottawa went with for some reason as they seem to be a real hindrance to people getting around the train?

Ottawa choice, the Metrolinx ones don't have them, at least on the mockup. We're expecting to be standing room only most of the time up here in Ottawa, hence the stanchions

img_0179-e1564752000443.png

Within the GTA centre stanchions seem to be out of favour since they impede flow, but besides Ottawa Montreal also still uses them

dc7ec8d16390a06f8c46f53cc87c83a73ea0be8a.jpg_1200x630.jpg

But I believe Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary do not.

Last edited:
Ottawa choice, the Metrolinx ones don't have them, at least on the mockup. We're expecting to be standing room only most of the time up here in Ottawa, hence the stanchions

img_0179-e1564752000443.png

Within the GTA centre stanchions seem to be out of favour since they impede flow, but besides Ottawa Montreal also still uses them

dc7ec8d16390a06f8c46f53cc87c83a73ea0be8a.jpg_1200x630.jpg

But I believe Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary do not.

On the TTC at least, centre poles are seen as verboten due to the findings of the Coroner's Inquiry stemming from the Russell Hill subway collision. That decision may have carried over to the design of the LRT cars that they will be operating - even if they aren't the ones ordering them.

Dan

when do they intend to start production of the first LRVs?
It would have to be in 2020 to meet Finch and Hurontario opening day schedule. Then there is the Crosstown line.

when do they intend to start production of the first LRVs?
When ML wants them to and they love pushing the date on everything. It should be next year but the Finch West MSF isn't due for completion till 2022. Probably won't have tracks till mid/late-2021. Maybe they will deliver it to Mount Dennis MSF if ML really desires to have time in hands. The Ottawa LRVs will keep the Brampton site busy.

Been on systems in the US that nether show/announce stops or door closing/opening since its not part of their ADA requirements.

As an aside, I've noticed that US transit systems tend to use male voices for automated stop announcements, whereas in Canada it's almost always female. Wonder why that is.

As an aside, I've noticed that US transit systems tend to use male voices for automated stop announcements, whereas in Canada it's almost always female. Wonder why that is.

I find a male voice authoritative and a female voice comforting, and the mindsets of the two countries to be similar.

Had a look at the mock up Alstom car today and a few changes from BBD cars. No door by the driver and back where doors open on both sides. Slope at the doors and see no reason for it if door level match the platforms like other systems in the US. The floor slopes up from the door area to the drive door. Small step to get a seat over the wheels. Driver compartment smaller than BBD cars and others I have seen so far.

Otherwise, see no real change, but this is only a small section considering the car is to be 45 m long. Will have a better review of the car when I see Ottawa car in Sept.

Back