News   Apr 19, 2024
 400     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.3K     2 

Metro Toronto Planning dept published this booklet in 1958; here's a selection of

Well it's the 1950s. Everybody looked a little waspy and dowdy.

Though Marie Curtis was something of a proto-Hazel, i.e. imagine if she went from being Long Branch reeve to Metro Chairman...

Chicks like her are what Sarah Palin pretends to be.

Fad225: The graphics and fonts are "really sleek" because the brochure was designed at Cooper and Beatty - one of the leading design houses of that era. Allan Fleming, who designed the CN logo at about the same time, was creative director and Ken Rodmell and Jim Donoahue ( who taught us at OCA ) both worked there - all internationally recognized designers.

Urban Shocker- thanks for the info... interesting stuff!
its so Mad Men era work....

Though Nate Phillips succeeded a bit by being the Jewish version of an "Oreo" (i.e. black on the outside, white on the inside)

I found a 1965 version of the book at the Antique Market down in St Lawrence today... didn't buy it though.. perhaps I should have. I picked up a 1960 map of Toronto instead for a toonie.

I was there an hour ago and bought Building With Wood ( and other aspects of 19th century building in Ontario ) by John I. Rempel ( U of T Press, 1967 ) from Bernie, who sells there every week. It's a well illustrated mine of structural and stylistic information about unusual forms - polygonal buildings for instance - from that era.

One of the dealers outside on the east side has some original photos of Lord Beaverbrook and Mitch Hepburn etc. and had no idea who they are of.

Back