News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 514     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Markington Square (3201-3227 Eglinton Ave E, RioCan, 2x 21 + 2x 18 + 3x 9s, D+S)

Page and Steele did do The Met... although this development is not likely to be that good. Full renderings to come... when?

Name for this project? I predict (drum roll) The Bluffenator.

So if it's bye-bye Don Mills Centre, Shoppes at Steeles & 404, Honeydale, Markington Square, etc., which mini-mall or mega-plaza is next?

Bridlewood, Galleria.....

Don't forget Galleria on Dupont is going bye-bye.

Bridlewood is proposed for massive intensification.

Those 2 are already in the public eye.

Of Course Morningside Mall has gone bix box too...though no intesification, YET.

Assuming the current boom continues.....

I place my bets on...

Woodside Square (Bridletowne Sister Mall)
Parkway Mall (Vic Park /Ellesmere)
Agincourt (subway or LRT is coming)

Also look for more condos at Bayview Village (but mall will survive)

After that, it gets murkier...

Shopper's World Danforth sits on pretty promising real estate, but its still very successful as a retail mall. Not sure if Riocan is up for condofication.

I also think one of the larger strip plazas at Kingston/Midland Rd. (Cliffside area) is probably ripe for a pick-over.

Bridlewood, Bayview Village, etc., don't count...the only things that count are mini-malls or mega-plazas that will cease to be, will expire and go to meet their maker, will push up daisies, will join the choir invisible, etc., etc.

We've forgotten how Warden Woods bit the dust lately?

Interesting re Markington is that it's even newer than Warden Woods, i.e. an 80s strip-plaza archetype...

Another recent bye-bye is Rexdale--and for that matter, Albion Mall seems begging for redevelopment sooner or later...

I'm not aware of too many recent condo projects in the NW...would an Albion Mall redevelopment with ~2000 condo units sell well?

Which gets me thinking: condo units under $200,000 can be sold anywhere, but who's going to spend much more than that at Markham & Eglinton?

Don't forget Honeydale Mall in Etobicoke - the developer wants to build I think 6 towers with over 2,400 units. It would be great to see that happen, though the local councillor seems lukewarm about it at best for some reason.

Also, a few months back a small 50's neighbourhood plaza in central Etobicoke (which probably none of you have heard of) called Glen Agar was demolished, and I believe townhomes are planned to be built there.

I know Glen Agar--a family doc used to be there. But yes, it was a pretty crummy place t/w the end...

What about Lawrence Plaza? (at Bathurst), it's busy, but there's so much wasted land there. Then there's Lawrence Square a few blocks away.

Other mega-mini malls to bite the dust?
- Jane Park Plaza (at Alliance)
- Downsview Mall (Wilson)
- York Mills Plaza (for a Cheddingtonesque development)
- Westdale Mall (Dundas/Erindale Station)
- Parkway Mall (Burnhamthorpe/Central Parkway)
- Brampton Mall (Main/Nanwood) - though this is an almost untouched version of an outdoor mall, and part of me would be sad to see it go.

Back