News   Apr 19, 2024
 431     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 649     1 

Markham Tory proposes subway to Hwy 7/9th Line

W

wyliepoon

Link

A very weird subway proposal from Markham-Unionville Conservative candidate Joe Li...

" Mr. Li lives in Scarborough next to a restaurant his wife owns but he plans to move to Markham within the next year regardless of whether or not he is elected.
To ease gridlock, he believes the Yonge Street subway should be extended from Finch Station to Hwy. 7 . From there, it should extend east to 9th Line, he said.
"That would take away a lot of the traffic," Mr. Li said."

wylie:

Except Mr. Li didn't consider how the extension would saturate the system. I believe the TTC RTES plan already investigated that option.

AoD

I was planning to move to Pickering, and if elected I will advocate on behalf of my constituents for a subway route through my new riding. Since my daughter lives in Brampton a subway or at least an lrt between the two would be convenient, but I would be willing to accept yearly freeway widenings. Don't worry I will get federal money for some project and solve that problem of congestion.

While a subway extension along Yonge is worth a theoretical discussion, taking it east along highway 7 is a waste of money, fantasy and/or pandering. Although many officials may consider themselves planning experts, I would expect that over 95% of the people on this forum could come up with a more realistic idea than this, unless tempted to opine in the middle of a heated election campaign.
Transit ideas based on the idea of reducing congestion are often wastes of money and generally not in the best interests of transit riders. The idea of reducing congestion through transit projects or new highways in urban areas is often misleading at best.
Congestion = waiting in line to use a free limited resouce.

Mr. Li should conider the subway extension continuing past 9th Line into Pickering. That way, one white elephant and hook up with another white elephant - the Pickering airport. I'm sure Markham residents would look forward to that - after all that would save on congestion in and around Pearson.

To ease gridlock, he believes the Yonge Street subway should be extended from Finch Station to Hwy. 7 . From there, it should extend east to 9th Line, he said.
TTC in RTES published that they expected most riders to head downtown causing serious congestion. VIVA plans anticipate most of their passenger growth will be heading to North York and perhaps Eglinton with very few heading further south.

Shortly after the ROW along Yonge Street is in place we will see where the passenger destinations are. If York Region is right then a Yonge Street extension could be very profitable for the TTC (TTC would run up to Steeles, York Region contracting north of that).

I say more power to him. Why? Because any Yonge extension would absolutely require a DRL--the line just can't take any more passengers without major changes (like quad-tracking it a la some New York lines)

Hey if a Tory is for new subways then something good is happening. Can only be a good thing even though the idea of going east on 7 is foolish.

Extending to highway 7 is sensible but that is where it should end. Anything beyond that is lunacy. North, East, and West of Langstaff can easily be handled by LRT or BRT... look how many lanes are on the 407 and 7 and the space in those corridors... why would a subway make any sense there at all? Langstaff with the GO station and VIVA's east-west corridor plus the 407 for GO express is a natural terminus for the line.

It definitely has to go from 7 & 9th to Uxbridge after that. My friend lives in Uxbridge and takes the GO train every day to a Front street job so this will save her several dollars a day in fares while increasing her commute by several hours. What a cool plan.

Extending it up to Steeles would be cool... lots of good Persian Restaurants up there.

^ Feel like recommending a few? And maybe some particularly tasty dishes?

Yeah, Zaffron is probably the best one. Try the dish that's called "Soltani"... the waiter will know what you mean. It's a mix of ground beef and steak served with rice. Outstanding!

For downtown dwellers, there a Persian restaurant that's almost as good as Zaffron. I think it's called Kebab House and it's just north of Yonge and Wellesley on the east side of Yonge St. Again, go for the "Soltani" dish. You won't be sorry.

Back