2.4K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 610     0 

Mad Pride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seymour

I heard a radio story this morning on CBC regarding Mad Pride.

The LAST thing I would want to do is celebrate the freaked out nutjob in a wretched suit who storms around downtown screaming and grunting very loudly & aggressively at people while having some kind of a hallucinatory internal experience that they can't control. Or to celebrate the clearly mentally disabled individual on the subways who has clearly been using their plastic bag clothes as a toilet for some time, creating a 5 metre area around them during rush hour because of the disgusting stankness.....or the messed up people with tourettes and/or schizophrenia from rooming houses who walk around downtown in ages-old rotting clothes stinking up the general area mumbling and clicking to everyone's dismay. And terrifying children.

Listening to this promo for "Mad Pride" simply brought to mind these horrendous human experiences and despite everything (there being many levels to mental illness, I understand this) it was the LAST thing I would ever want to celebrate or draw attention to.

I guess it's the extremes of mental illness that come to mind when something like Mad Pride is raised, and it's very very unappealing.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/07/mad_pride_breaks_the_stigma_of_mental_illness/

I heard a radio story this morning on CBC regarding Mad Pride.

The LAST thing I would want to do is celebrate the freaked out nutjob in a wretched suit who storms around downtown screaming and grunting very loudly & aggressively at people while having some kind of a hallucinatory internal experience that they can't control. Or to celebrate the clearly mentally disabled individual on the subways who has clearly been using their plastic bag clothes as a toilet for some time, creating a 5 metre area around them during rush hour because of the disgusting stankness.....or the messed up people with tourettes and/or schizophrenia from rooming houses who walk around downtown in ages-old rotting clothes stinking up the general area mumbling and clicking to everyone's dismay. And terrifying children.

Listening to this promo for "Mad Pride" simply brought to mind these horrendous human experiences and despite everything (there being many levels to mental illness, I understand this) it was the LAST thing I would ever want to celebrate or draw attention to.

I guess it's the extremes of mental illness that come to mind when something like Mad Pride is raised, and it's very very unappealing.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/07/mad_pride_breaks_the_stigma_of_mental_illness/

How about the tens of thousands of survivors or those who you'd never know by passing them, or by working with that they are schizophrenic, suffering from social phobia, tourette's, generalized anxiety disorder, depression, bi-polar disorder or any other number of mental illnesses. I think there's a great deal to celebrate given the advancements in mental health care and recovery in this city and the contributions that so many of these people provide.

The extremely ill people you note are incredibly sad human beings who have probably fallen through the cracks. I'd think a little sympathy would be more in order rather than hating them for getting too close to "your space" or wishing them away.

I think this event is very appealing, quite worthy of celebration and can probably be very empowering.

Oh - and you should be warned, they also have a film festival. Thought you should know that in advance before you find out another way and get all shocked & bothered by that too.

How about the tens of thousands of survivors or those who you'd never know by passing them, or by working with that they are schizophrenic, suffering from social phobia, tourette's, generalized anxiety disorder, depression, bi-polar disorder or any other number of mental illnesses. I think there's a great deal to celebrate given the advancements in mental health care and recovery in this city and the contributions that so many of these people provide.

The extremely ill people you note are incredibly sad human beings who have probably fallen through the cracks. I'd think a little sympathy would be more in order rather than hating them for getting too close to "your space" or wishing them away.

I think this event is very appealing, quite worthy of celebration and can probably be very empowering.

Oh - and you should be warned, they also have a film festival. Thought you should know that in advance before you find out another way and get all shocked & bothered by that too.

Film festival is fine, so is the idea of Mad Pride. I do understand that there are levels of mental illness as well, depression etc. All I am saying is that I automatically tend to imagine the worst instances of mental illness when I hear about something like Mad Pride.

Film festival is fine, so is the idea of Mad Pride. I do understand that there are levels of mental illness as well, depression etc. All I am saying is that I automatically tend to imagine the worst instances of mental illness when I hear about something like Mad Pride.

That's why Mad Pride exists - to confront the stigma and stereotypes that can make life even more difficult for people who don't have it all that easy to begin with.

IN REGARDS TO THE INITIAL POSTER:

As a person who suffers from depression and obsessive thinking ("Pure O" Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and work hard every single fucking day and week to make myself more functional and a better fit into society, this thread is really disturbing to me, VERY unsettling, and as khristopher said, quite insulting.

What a bummer. I wish I had never seen this thread and seen how some people view the mentally ill. It disturbs me RIGHT to my core.

Last edited:
i used to put my hands together, say some special words and ask the invisible sky deity to intervene on my behalf and grant me personal favors. it was perfectly normal. almost everyone else did the same thing. and though the sky deity never contacted me directly, he manipulated television programming in such a way that the particular episode i was watching was relevant to an experience i was going through in real life. i mean come on! how many times is there a television show dealing with issues people go through on TV? coincidence, i think not! ;)

This thread title made me want to search out a rainbow image of Alfred E. Neuman--couldn't find one...

Saw another freaked out mentally ill person talking very loudly with foul language in inappropriate dress on the TTC this morning. I guess it's time to throw a party and celebrate them.

There's levels of mental illness, depression etc, yes but Mad Pride brings to mind the worst of it. I mean how can the most afflicted of these people be celebrated when there's no way to communicate in any kind of rational or logical way about even the most basic things, such as: "what is bothering you?", "Here is a shower", "please stop shouting".

Saw another freaked out mentally ill person talking very loudly with foul language in inappropriate dress on the TTC this morning. I guess it's time to throw a party and celebrate them.

Why, thank you:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back