Toronto M5V Condominiums | 118.87m | 35s | Lifetime | Core Architects

Since we're speaking of the pillars, I snapped a few pics of them this afternoon. The top half looks to have a slightly different finish then the bottom (darker) half. Anyone know what this means for what the final look may be? I also noticed that each pillar has an electrical junction box to where a light fixture will most likely be installed. Last three pics are of the (rather average looking) retail doors, and the residents front doors.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2084.jpg
    IMG_2084.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 295
Since we're speaking of the pillars, I snapped a few pics of them this afternoon. The top half looks to have a slightly different finish then the bottom (darker) half. Anyone know what this means for what the final look may be? I also noticed that each pillar has an electrical junction box to where a light fixture will most likely be installed. Last three pics are of the (rather average looking) retail doors, and the residents front doors.

The concrete appears to be polished on the columns (looks smooth and a little shiney). Polishing concrete is much more expensive than painting, so that will most likely be the final finish.
The different colour is a result of separate batch or pour of concrete -- every pour of concrete will yeild a slightly different tone and it's impossible to match concrete of another pour. It's best to do an entire column in one continuous pour to ensure consistant colour.

The contractor should have stained the concrete columns before polishing it to better even out the colour variation.

Last edited:
The contractor should have stained the concrete columns before polishing it to better even out the colour variation.

They sure should have, and if the pillars are finished, then they are inexcusably bad. It is appalling how little time is taken on concrete that is going to remain on view these days. Back in the 70s, they knew how to do this. Scarborough College is probably the best example of what to do with naked concrete in this city. These columns however, will make M5V look like a dump if they are not improved.

Last edited:
What is this fascination with bare concrete in this city? Undersides of balconies...walls....ceillings...columns...

Bare, polished concrete looks awesome (when done properly). And as interchange mentioned, they really knew how to do exposed concrete back in the day. Like with anything though, a sloppy execution ruins the effect and beauty of any material.

Has anyone walked past the condo lately? Last night, my husband and I did and they have those typical patio cement blocks laid in the entrance and we both are hoping those are just temporary because if not, they're the cheapest thing yet we've seen in relation to the condo!

I too walked past the building yesterday (during the day). The columns are an aesthetic crime against humanity. I say convict the developer/architect in the Hague!!

You guys get a bit too over-excited about items that are still under construction. The concrete columns will be covered and clad in the coming weeks.

We're building a great city here, so it's very meaningful to care about the quality of the buildings going up, especially the final details that are crucial in making impressions. I may not care what the inside of the mechanical rooms look like, but the columns and undersides of balconies will be noticed by the masses every day.

Back