Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

PXL_20220722_190259526.jpg
PXL_20220722_190232804.jpg

Waterfront Toronto began work on York Street Park (Love Park) in July 2021, which will be a 2-acre park located at the southern foot of York Street and Queens Quay West in the southern Financial District and Harbourfront neighbourhood.

Starting August 2, our contractor for York Street Park, Somerville Construction, will begin extending the construction fence limits to allow for curb and berm installation. This will occur along Queens Quay West (north side) and the pedestrian pathway on the east side of the site running alongside 88 Queens Quay West - WaterPark Place (the southern and eastern sides of the future park).

All construction related work will take place between the hours of 7am-7pm Monday to Friday in compliance with the City’s noise By-law.

Construction fencing will be used to reduce the width of the sidewalk on the north side of Queens Quay West between York Street and 88 Queens Quay West -WaterPark Place. Pedestrians will have access to the full length of the sidewalk which will be reduced to 1.7 metres in width to safely accommodate pedestrians. There are no anticipated impacts to the bike lanes in this area.

The pedestrian pathway on the east side of the construction site located beside 88 Queens Quay West - WaterPark Place will remain open to pedestrians. However, construction fencing will be used to reduce the width of the pathway to 1.7 metres.

Just over 2 weeks later..............Photos taken August 9th, 2022::

(note in these photos you can't see the red tile; it's still there, but covered in Tyvek to protect it.)

DSC09038.JPG

DSC09039.JPG

DSC09040.JPG

DSC09041.JPG

DSC09042.JPG

DSC09044.JPG

DSC09047.JPG

DSC09046.JPG

DSC09047.JPG

DSC09048.JPG

DSC09049.JPG

DSC09050.JPG

Attachments

• DSC09043.JPG
    DSC09043.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 62
A nice splash of unobnoxious (unlike June Callwood Park, cough cough) colour enlivens, what's a shocker!

AoD
...if that pink was mosaic tiles as opposed what looks like rubberized mystery meat, I think it would gone over more effectively, IMO.

It is glass tile mosaic and they are grouting the joints.

@UtakataNoAnnex was comparing June Callwood (pink) to the quality of Love Park and Cormier's design.

The former being a rubberized paint of some description..........which is blatantly hideous, though oddly the least of the design sins of that park.

Aug 13
Looking at the site today, going to miss being open this year with the amount of work to be done. Surprised it so far behind schedule considering I been away 2 months.

I see IBI group is now part of this project.

No photos due to battery issues for some unknown reason

Aug 13
Looking at the site today, going to miss being open this year with the amount of work to be done. Surprised it so far behind schedule considering I been away 2 months.

I see IBI group is now part of this project.

No photos due to battery issues for some unknown reason
Par for the course for public works in Toronto. And once it's 'done' (looks done), they're going to fence it off for at least 9 months before deigning to open it to the public (see Wellesley on the Park).

Par for the course for public works in Toronto.

In fairness, the trees should not even be considered for planting until the last week of September at the earliest, and I would prefer the last week of October for species appropriate for fall planting.

While I'm sure they had their fingers crossed for earlier, I don't think it was ever reasonable to hope for an opening before mid-October.

Once the plants go in and are mulched, if there are no deficiencies, the park should be able to open, there are no ownership issues that I'm aware of here, this is City property already.

However, if they miss the fall planting window; it could be late May/early June '23 to get it open.

And once it's 'done' (looks done), they're going to fence it off for at least 9 months before deigning to open it to the public (see Wellesley on the Park).

LOL, WP is a mess; but it's a relatively unusual mess in that the hold up has to do with the legal transfer of ownership of the site to the City. Not sure what the problem is..........but yes, it's taking far too long to resolve.

Back