News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Lost Queen Street West

LowPolygon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I remember how shocked I was when I learned that, up until the late 1920’s, University Avenue stopped at Queen Street. (And that the venerable old Campbell House on the northwest corner had only just been deposited there in 1972.)
Carving that broad avenue through the heart of the city must have been a massive undertaking.

Since then I’ve been fascinated with this particular stretch of ‘lost’ Toronto.

Here is a complete set of photos of the buildings on the south side of Queen Street West between York St, Simcoe St and halfway to Duncan St, circa late 20's:

Aerial looking southeast 1930, to the corner of York St and Queen St. West

queenuniversity33.jpg

Corner of Queen St West and York St.

queenuniversity2.jpg

queenuniversity3.jpg

queenuniversity4.jpg

queenuniversity5.jpg

queenuniversity6.jpg

This is the block directly in the path of the widening and extension of University Ave:

queenuniversity.jpg

Looking South:

queenuniversity32.jpg

Looking southeast

queenuniversity29.jpg

After demolition

queenuniversity22.jpg

queenuniversity21.jpg

queenuniversity8.jpg

queenuniversity9.jpg

West side of University Ave

queenuniversity10.jpg

queenuniversity11.jpg

queenuniversity12.jpg

Queen St West and Simcoe St

queenuniversity19.jpg

queenuniversity13.jpg

queenuniversity14.jpg

queenuniversity15.jpg

queenuniversity16.jpg

queenuniversity17.jpg

queenuniversity18.jpg

After widening and demolition looking north, 1930's

queenuniversity23.jpg

Looking northwest

queenuniversity31.jpg

My grandfather always mentioned the clearances to push thru University whenever we were in the that area. I suppose it was a big deal at the time.

He also mentioned the clearances to build the Eaton College street store - how many of his Chinese friends pocketed serious money from being booted from their houses/laundries.

I'll tell you about another 'Lost Neighbourhood' close by your pictures. York Street had a Chinatown for awhile - 1900 to 1930 or so. It moved to Elizabeth Street. I cannot find a single online picture. Time to visit the archives to do some digging, then.

... and the polite conversation between Hahn's Sir Adam Beck Memorial and Allward's Boer War Memorial continues to this day.

Great update. Most of the core is so new today that one forgets that the older building comprising Queen West of University used to also run throughout the core.

I wonder why they didn't go straight through the rail lands to Lakeshore. Would have solved today's problems with York being so busy.

I'm sure the never envisioned the need for better access to Lakeshore. Cost would have probably been an issue. And all that was down there in those days was industry. Not much need for a grand boulevard.

Back