News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

looking to buy a property

general surfer

Member Bio
Reaction score
hi folks, i'm completely new here, just want to know is there any chance get a good property with the budget around 200k in toronto nowadays, prefer a good hood.:p

wow, no way around 200k eh, even with a smaller size townhouse or small loft? too bad thats what we could afford at the moment! any suggestion?:)

as a very general rule of thumb, you're looking at $400 PSF for any type of 'average' housing in a d/t hood ... not prime locations like Cabbagetown, Annex, Yorkville, Prime Riverdale.

So if your budget is $200K, you will be looking at 500 SF shoebox.

i dont mind live in a shoebox as i am from somewhere very exp on living, as long as in a decent area and enuff for a couple is fine!

i dont mind live in a shoebox as i am from somewhere very exp on living, as long as in a decent area and enuff for a couple is fine!

how much space would you consider to be adequate for a couple?
what are you seeking - 1bed, 1bed + den, etc?

if you're coming from a place where the cost of living is expensive, then 500 SF (if you use metric, ~ 45 square meters) maybe considered a castle to you, while for many in North America it would be small (ie. shoebox).

how much space would you consider to be adequate for a couple?
what are you seeking - 1bed, 1bed + den, etc?

if you're coming from a place where the cost of living is expensive, then 500 SF (if you use metric, ~ 45 square meters) maybe considered a castle to you, while for many in North America it would be small (ie. shoebox).

yeah, i know, to me,500sf is eunuff, like 1 bed plus den will be great!
actually looking for small bungalow will be perfect .

You will not find a bungalow in Toronto for $200K. Nor will you find a townhouse, unless in a poor location and / or poor condition.

You can get a one-bedroom condo apartment for that much. Look at
www.realtor.ca to get started.

There's a few on mls for under 200k but they are kind of far away. between Markham Rd and Morningside. But there aren't many. Even in the 905, almost all are over 200k

the OP was looking for a good location too.

b/t markham and morningside is not really what i would call a good place.

oh i guess i have to settle with condos or apartment, right? folks, reason i dont like condos or apartment is the high main fee. and you never know who is your next door neighbour, that's the down side of it, but if the market is down now, then i guess i have no choice.

Also note that many of the lower priced bungalows or semi-detached homes are very old and may require significant upkeep. While there is no monthly maintenance fee, you still have to pay for maintenance, gas, electricity, cable, etc. yourself.

Plus, if you want anything half-decent in that category in a not-too-terrible area, you're looking at starting at twice your budget and going up from there. ie. $400000 is at the low end, with many bigger and nicer semi-detached homes in nicer areas being several hundred thousand more than that.

For a couple, I would recommend expanding your budget closer to $250000-300000 for a 1-bedroom condo, or else just rent.

Last edited:
between $250k-300k, there are options for houses in the GTA. Albeit old houses. Of course, if you want to live in the core, condos are the only option. If the person keeps renting for the next few years and wait for the recession to pass. Chances are it's going to get even more difficult to buy a home later. Prices of homes seem to have gone up to high and will continue climbing after this slow down. Older buildings are now around $325-400 psf. Newer ones are around 400-500 psf. Pre-constructions are around 500-700+ psf. Even if it drops slightly less if economy stays down. Once it picks up prices will get higher than current ones. The only option to stay afloat on inflation seems to be owning a home. Money in the bank erodes in value over a period of time.

Back