News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 585     0 

Looking for a bike lock up, shower at Yonge and King

TOinTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've got a new job that is better in every respect than my old job EXCEPT for ease of bicycle commuting. The building I used to work in had a bike room and a shower. The building I now work in, at Yonge and King, doesn't seem to have anything like that.

I need a to find a safe place to lock up a bike and an inexpensive place to take a shower so that I can return to bicycle commuting once the ice clears. The closer to Yonge and King, the better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The irony is that there are so many gyms, etc. around there which could take advantage of their already-existing presence --real estate, showers, relationships with landlords and landowners -- to add revenue at relatively low additional outlay.

I've often wondered whether there isn't a first-mover problem here. Couldn't Metrolinx take a leadership role in doing things like publishing how-tos, reaching "model" agreements, and taking other actions to encourage potential bike shower and lock-up providers of this type to grab that low-hanging fruit?

Thanks for the heads-up on this message, Darkstar.

TOinTO, the locking situation could be solved for you by the city (of all people), who are opening up a "BikeStation" in the York St. Underpass by Union Station - to provide secure bike parking... that's all that it will have in May (when it's scheduled to open), but there is rumblings that it eventually may have facilities like showers.

That may be a bit too far from Yonge & King for you... nothing else is coming to mind for storage (other than public ring & posts with two or more locks - I don't know how pricey your bike is) - but for showering - a nearby healthclub membership may do the trick - I've heard that some clubs offer very basic memberships (ie. shower/changeroom only) ... Anyone else know of something like this?

Back