Looking down at the City

maxt797

Member Bio
Reaction score
Posted by Jerrold over at blogTO...

20070522083208__5180257ed.jpg

Above picture is just a teaser... Entire article plus other shots here:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/05/looking_down_at_the_city/

When comparing, one can see small and subtle differences in the two photos.

It's interesting to note how much development in the older photo was along University Avenue. We've seen very little on that axis since then.

Still entirely too many parking lots even in the new shot (although some of those are being developed on as we speak), but it's nice to see just how much the city has changed.

For me, the shame is the mediocre development along the waterfront considering what a clean slate it was to begin with. Oh well, the rest is pretty good.

For me, the shame is the mediocre development along the waterfront considering what a clean slate it was to begin with. Oh well, the rest is pretty good.

Hey, we can always do what we have done in the past, create a new waterfront and start from scratch!

Judging from a lot of the new developments going up around the central waterfront these days, I don't think Toronto would do a much better job today when compared with 30 years ago.

DZ: Good Downtown Toronto pix! The first one is definitely recent while the older one is early 70s perhaps? CIBC under construction and no development S and W of Union Station. First Canadian Place is also not in the photo. From the time of the CN tower's construction things have changed quite a bit in DT T.O.! LI MIKE

Hey, we can always do what we have done in the past, create a new waterfront and start from scratch!

I've actually thought that isn't such a bad idea, as ridiculous as it sounds. Queens Quay is a bit of a failure, so maybe we should just fill in one more waterfront street that we can line with businesses on one side and a continuous promenade on the other.

Back