Living Shangri-La Condos (Westbank, Peterson Group) - Real Estate -

Traynor;54230 ...Toronto is in a whole new realm of what [I said:
"Location"[/I] actually means.

Interestingly, in a lot of major cities one sees a range of buildings from low to mid range near very high end buildings. I think it is the exclusivity or the services that delineate. The location is "downtown" and that says it all, whether the building is entry level or super high level. Part of the cost is location. I agree with the comment that you can certainly upgrade a lesser condo building with every upgrade a lot cheaper than buying in the more upscale building but it will still be a beautiful condo without the cache of the more upscale building.

Being on the 50th floor, I'd guess at least $100,000 of that is due to being high up ($2,000 premium per floor?)
Looks like a standrad floorplan with upsized dimensions for each room.

Actually, in Shangrila the one bedrooms originally went up $5000/floor as I recall and $6000/floor for the 1 bedroom dens.
Lately, I believe the 1 bedroom dens on lower floors were going up $10000/floor but there were only 2 or 3 left. Again, these were West face and not in the Estates so somewhat less done up. No Closet organizers, not herring bone floors, the bathrooms marble but not totally marble on all the walls. On the other hand, fees would be lower for the lower floors as the limo is not included and as such the condo fees will be at least another $170-200/month for these units over the comparable in the Residence section from floors 18-49. Also, initially the East face units were as I said much cheaper than the West face.

I just got a letter from SL informing me that a confirmed closing date (occupancy date) is Aug 1, 2012. (I am mid 20's) so I am guessing the residences are beginning to move in mid June-July, 2012. Anyone else got a similar letter?

I am guessing the hotel will be opening around the same time.

First post here, i've been lurking for a while, decided to make an account.

Just got to say how disappointed I am at this building. I was planning on getting one of the Signature Suites, but I recently noticed that instead of the stated East views (http://www.livingshangri-latoronto.com/floorplans/) they're actually West.
I feel like i've been lied to this whole time.
I could understanding paying a substantial amount for the East view, but 7M for West views? Please.. the West view is so plain compared to the East, doesn't feel like you're in Toronto.

Not to mention the new penthouse floorplans have disappointed me completely. Definitely not worth 9.3M. Outdoor shower, dining and living area? Have fun. At that height, there will be a regular cold wind thanks to the lake effect.

I'm really interested in a 2 floor lofts at downtown Toronto, with a good view, preferably the lake..I've been searching for a while but I feel like there just aren't any. Can you guys suggest any up and coming condos?

Last edited:
The Signature Suites are some of the most unique condos in Toronto at the moment. A full two story height space with an unparalleled wall of windows in your living room at that height is unheard of in Toronto at the moment.

If you're concerned about views you should note that Shangri-La is further enough to the east that you will still have a view of the CN Tower, the Skydome and all of the city to the West (including sunsets).

If you could afford it I'd say don't overlook it just because you don't see the CBD.

The West face in Toronto because of the longer winters and SW are traditionally the most expensive views. People generally prefer to get afternoon and evening sun over morning sun.

That said, I am sure you can probably approach the developer and maybe purchase 2 suites one above the other and make up a "Signature Suite" equivalent with an East view.

I think the Living Shangri-La project is pretty amazing...however, I do have one minor concern...I was reading the latest Disclosure Statement (June 8, 2011 which is their Third Revision)...apparently the Concierge will only be working 12 hours (most likely 7 AM to 7 PM) and a security person the other hours (they budgeted 16 hours for the security guy so there will a small 2 hour overlap before and after the Concierge shift). There is no 24 hour Doorman dedicated to the residents of the condo. There is a Doorman for the hotel but the hotel has a separate entrance than the condo...so this does not benefit the condo residents at all. The other projects such as Four Seasons Residences and Trump Residences and Ritz Carlton Residences have a dedicated 24 Hours Concierge in the private resident lobby for their residents AND a 24 hour Doorman which open the ground level doors for residents and guests before they take the elevators to the Sky Lobby where the 24 Hours resident concierge is. So Ritz and Four Seasons budget 2 people (Conceirge and Doorman) working 24 hours for their condo residents. I guess my concern is for the amount that all of these projects are charging...why doesn't Living Shangri-La budget a dedicated 24 hours Doorman for their residents and a dedicated 24 hours Concierge for their residents? I know the maintenance fees will go up slightly but I think it's well worth it given it's supposed to be in the ultra-luxury market and its competitors (Four Seasons and Trump and Ritz) offer this. Afterall, in the ultra-luxury market, it is the small details that can make a difference.

Last edited:
I think the Living Shangri-La project is pretty amazing...however, I do have one minor concern...I was reading the latest Disclosure Statement (June 8, 2011 which is their Third Revision)...apparently the Concierge will only be working 12 hours (most likely 7 AM to 7 PM) and a security person the other hours (they budgeted 16 hours for the security guy so there will a small 2 hour overlap before and after the Concierge shift). There is no 24 hour Doorman dedicated to the residents of the condo. There is a Doorman for the hotel but the hotel has a separate entrance than the condo...so this does not benefit the condo residents at all. The other projects such as Four Seasons Residences and Trump Residences and Ritz Carlton Residences have a dedicated 24 Hours Concierge in the private resident lobby for their residents AND a 24 hour Doorman which open the ground level doors for residents and guests before they take the elevators to the Sky Lobby where the 24 Hours resident concierge is. So Ritz and Four Seasons budget 2 people (Conceirge and Doorman) working 24 hours for their condo residents. I guess my concern is for the amount that all of these projects are charging...why doesn't Living Shangri-La budget a dedicated 24 hours Doorman for their residents and a dedicated 24 hours Concierge for their residents? I know the maintenance fees will go up slightly but I think it's well worth it given it's supposed to be in the ultra-luxury market and its competitors (Four Seasons and Trump and Ritz) offer this. Afterall, in the ultra-luxury market, it is the small details that can make a difference.

I assume a concierge helping with scheduling events and arranging guest ammenities would do this during the day.
I would think perhaps it should be until 8 or 9 p.m. but I really don't see what a concierge will offer over a security person in the evening hours and overnight. In fact, I would wonder if the cost is considerably lower for security than concierge this may be wise. Whether a doorman should be there....I guess that makes it a bit more "ultra luxurious". Shangrila I believe by its nature is supposed to be a bit more "relaxed and laid back" but maybe it is just being cheap.
I assume the security person will still be at the desk if people arrive to help let people up etc.

Also, I believe that one can enter the residences from the hotel lobby from a door off to the side. I appreciate this is not the same as entering through the residences lobby.

I don't know about Trump but SL is scheduled to have 54 cent fees (75 cents for the estates) vs. Ritz was to be 80 cents and is now I believe in fact 94 cents/sq.ft./month. This is a significant amount of money difference: I am not sure where the additional savings are coming from unless it is due to more units/sq.ft. over which the costs are divided.

As for Trump and Ritz; since you enter on one level and have a sky lobby; I think they really have to have 2 people....1 at ground level where you enter, a second at the "sky lobby".

Four Seasons however is definitely offering both. I wonder if that is partially because they are in Yorkville and expect more walk in traffic. It may also be just that it is more upscale. That said, the cost of the condos was also 30-50% higher when bought so perhaps they are targeting an even wealthier audience.

I suspect that the condo corporation when it is taken over by the residents can vote to amend the documents if there is inadequate concierge service.

Thanks "interested" for your comments!

You are correct...the per hour cost for security is much cheaper then the concierge...so I suspect that is the reason for budgeting only 12 hours for the concierge and having the cheaper security person for the other hours. I'm basing this off the budget in the Disclosure Statement. And there will 24 hour coverage (12 hour for Concierge and 16 hours for security).

I guess my only concern was Shangri-La did not budget for a dedicated residences Doorman and the other 5-Star Hotel Condo projects do have a Doorman AND a Concierge.
I think it's just a nice touch to have a Doorman outside, and someone inside (whether it be a Concierge or Security Person)

But you did bring up a very good point, the Condo corporation can vote to amend the documents if they feel it's a concern.

891 sq.ft. 1-bedroom unit for $1m and it doesn't even have a powder room. It comes with parking, 15 pieces of furniture, Poliform closets, Miele appliances and a marble walled bathroom with built-in TV mirror, so I'd guess it's not bad (compared to the other high-end hotel/condo developments).

In their downtown condo comparison list they list two W Hotel/Condo units. I didn't know there was even a W Hotel/Condo being offered in Toronto right now.
And which building is the "Yorkville Project"? The Four Seasons possibly?
I assume the Bay & Adelaide Street Condo/Hotel is Trump.
Don't know why they named Exhibit condos and W Hotel/condo, but not the other ones?

i don't think they meant W hotel ... Wellington Street West

From the National Post Luxury Living Section:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/05/04/luxury-living-champagne-wishes-and-caviar-dreams/

Luxury Living: Champagne wishes and caviar dreams

Lara Ceroni, Special to National Post May 4, 2012 – 8:00 AM ET | Last Updated: May 3, 2012 3:57 PM ET
Handout

Handout

It takes attention to detail to create perfection, and living at the Ritz means you can relish a five-star lifestyle year-round.

Comments
Email
Twitter
inShare2

If television host Robin Leach were still traipsing the world shooting segments for his wildly popular show Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, it would have behooved him to include Toronto on his itinerary. Over the past decade, Canada’s version of Tinseltown has been hard at work launching itself into the market of luxury hotel condominiums — and global buyers seeking the finest are taking serious note.

The apex came last year with the highly anticipated opening of the Ritz-Carlton. Crowned as the city’s first five-diamond hotel, the brand banked on its considerable reputation to create a space of 159 residences that would appeal to those seeking the ultimate in style and service. Naturally, and not surprisingly, other prestigious hotel brands followed suit.

This past April, amid some surprise and a few tears, the iconic franchise Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences shuttered its Avenue Road doors to make way this summer for a reportedly bigger-and-better successor down the street. Trump International Hotel & Tower just recently cut its ribbon, launching the country’s tallest condo tower: a whopping 65 storeys, boasting $6-million suites. And who could possibly ignore the tattle swirling over Shangri-La Toronto? Just as the name intimates, this utopian property — based on the Asian principles of supreme hospitality — is rumoured to ascend them all, come August (80% of the $1-million to $9.3-million estate suites have already been sold).
Related

Luxury Living: A king’s mansion

Luxury Living: My days on a floating country club

Beyond these large-scale projects, the well-heeled are also trending toward owning in boutique properties: Chaz.Yorkville, The Perry and 36 Hazelton are but a few enticing the rarefied into buying second — and possibly third — homes at their locations. Sure, the competition is fierce, but the demand is ever-evolving. “We are really busy people these days,” says Inna Levitan, CEO and managing partner at Talon Luxury Collection, whose portfolio includes Trump International Hotel & Tower. “Being able to live in a property that has everything at your fingertips — dining, housekeeping, concierge, valet — is the ultimate in convenience. For those who can afford it, it’s the ultimate in luxury living, too.”

So, it poses the question: With all of these options, where does the lustre lie? Here’s a breakdown on the best service, amenities and dining in the city’s finest home-away-from-homes. Start packing!

Residences at Ritz-Carlton
It takes attention to detail to create perfection, and living at the Ritz means you can relish a five-star lifestyle year-round; see photo at top! Soak away the day’s stresses in the ethereal 23,000-square-foot spa, while your dinner reservations are being made at TOCA. Expect to be delighted by the culinary creations of chef Tom Brodi, whose menu is focused on classical Canadian fare. Location is at “centre ice,” or minutes from Toronto’s top professional sports venues and cultural landmarks such as Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall Park. Considered the home location for the Toronto International Film Festival, expect celeb-spotting over Champagne cocktails.

Handout

The Trump Hotel & Tower 65-storey property bills itself as the ultimate business address, offering the city’s best urban views.

The Trump International Hotel & Tower
Location, location, location. The Trump Hotel & Tower 65-storey property bills itself as the ultimate business address, offering the city’s best urban views. To negotiate those important contracts à la The Donald, take the high-speed residential elevator to the 32nd floor Sky Lobby; the private, calming space with raised reflected pools and an 800-foot outdoor terrace is ideal for conducting discreet business meetings. After the deal is signed, celebrate by asking the dedicated residential concierge to have a bottle of Dom Perignon chilled and at the ready in your spacious suite.

Handout

The Shangri-La, just west of the financial district, is touting itself as a new point of pride for Toronto.

Shangri-La Toronto
The Shangri-La, just west of the financial district, is touting itself as a new point of pride for Toronto. It features an installation by Chinese artist Zhang Huan (see top of page). Curated with the help of the Art Gallery of Ontario, the piece is rumoured to be one of Canada’s most important public pieces of art. A series of branches and winged birds will ensconce part of the tower, welcoming guests into their “living room”: a 90-seat lobby lounge to mix and mingle before heading to Momofuku, the next instalment of New York chef David Chang’s empire. Feeling the hunger but not the company? Ding room service for an order of fried chicken and pork buns, delivered directly to your suite.

Handout

The views may not be as high, but for property owners looking for something more boutique, more personal, the Chaz.Yorkville still offers top-notch amenities such as 24-hour concierge service and Club Chaz, a space that can be used to host a private, chef-prepared dinner party.

Chaz.Yorkville
The views may not be as high, but for property owners looking for something more boutique, more personal, the Chaz.Yorkville still offers top-notch amenities such as 24-hour concierge service and Club Chaz, a space that can be used to host a private, chef-prepared dinner party. The building’s second floor has a fully equipped gym replete with a relaxation room that houses massage chairs and hydra massage beds. Ladies can watch their rom-coms in the Hollywood-style screening rooms, while partners catch a game in the sports-specific viewing room with extra-cushy couches. Perhaps most kitsch, the pet spa: equipped with stainless steel tub and blow-dryer, the spa primps and pampers your little best friend to perfection.

Posted in: Condos, Homes Tags: Luxury Living, Trump

From the National Post Luxury Living Section:

Chaz.Yorkville
The views may not be as high, but for property owners looking for something more boutique, more personal, the Chaz.Yorkville still offers top-notch amenities such as 24-hour concierge service and Club Chaz, a space that can be used to host a private, chef-prepared dinner party. The building’s second floor has a fully equipped gym replete with a relaxation room that houses massage chairs and hydra massage beds. Ladies can watch their rom-coms in the Hollywood-style screening rooms, while partners catch a game in the sports-specific viewing room with extra-cushy couches. Perhaps most kitsch, the pet spa: equipped with stainless steel tub and blow-dryer, the spa primps and pampers your little best friend to perfection.

no offense to those that bought here, but i have to laugh that this project would be included in this category.
the writer, Lara Ceroni, needs to do more research or did the developers pay a pretty penny for the advertorial?

no offense to those that bought here, but i have to laugh that this project would be included in this category.
the writer, Lara Ceroni, needs to do more research or did the developers pay a pretty penny for the advertorial?

I agree with you cdr.

I was surprised that the 4S was not the 4th comparison to SL Trump and Ritz.

I believe Chaz does a fair amount of advertising in the Post as you suggest. I feel these are advertorials under the guise of articles anyhow.

I was surprised when SL managed to score a "coup" when she suggested that "it was rumoured to ascend them all" since I don't often see advertisements for SL but they have been running some recently about the "art" and the "artist" so maybe this payback?

Back