News   Jul 25, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 608     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 477     0 

Liverpool: "Of Time and the City" (film)

Brian69

Not the Messiah
Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't see mention of this film in a forum search so I'll put this here due to the subject matter.

Premiering at Cannes last year the film is Terence Davies recollections of his youth and the changes that his hometown of Liverpool have undergone. Throughout the film are great bits of archival footage and while it might seem sentimental at times (especially given the musical accompaniments) overall it lays things out in a fairly straightforward fashion, examining a bygone era that has passed on if it ever existed at all. At the same time it is less favourable towards the changes Liverpool has undergone since the war years. It's also a bit of a reminder that we life in rather predictable and comfortable times even compared with 50 years ago.

I learned quite a bit about Liverpool, but more importantly I learned about the way cities change. It really celebrates life and at the same time touches on impermanence and change.

Toronto Star Review of the Film

It might be hard to find but I recommend it without reservation.

Official Site

Liverpool is kind of a lost soul, innit?

To think that in the 1940s, the city had twice its population (900,000) and an elevated railroad system, to boot. It didn't collapse like Detroit, but perhaps it is the most rustbelt city in Europe.

Parts of it even looked straight out of the USA:

lor_old7.jpg

Back