News   Apr 25, 2024
 606     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 504     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 751     0 

Livable Streets - Good Magazine

I like the transformation of that street. It's similar to what we're doing with Queens Quay and should be doing with commercial streets like Front, King and Queen to begin with. University has the space (the central islands) to add dedicated bike lanes.

If we could start rebuilding our streets like this... That would be just amazing. I agree MetroMan we should start with Front King and Queen, but of course we should not stop there. I believe that the City's plan for a Transit Mall on King would basically be this, but I'm not sure if that plan is still up for that or not...

Thanks a lot for that link!

Here's a bit of bonus archi-trivia: which much-maligned Toronto firm designed the black brick building in the image?

I note that 6 lanes of traffic in the "before" has become 2 lanes in the "after". While the original photo only shows a few cars on the road, I wonder what it would be like at rush hour (when there would be no parking so all lanes would be in use).

The street in the picture looks a lot like adelaide or richmond in Toronto. Making them two lane streets would not improve traffic downtown in my opinion.

Moving buses into their own lane would help traffic a little bit, but not much unless there were originally a lot of busses on that street.

If in fact, there is only ever enough traffic on this street to warrant two lanes, then this does look like a nice way of doing it.

Back