News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Little Trinity Church Workmans Cottages (399 King East, 2s, ERA/dTAH)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Finally!

trinity1.jpg

trinity2.jpg

Now it's moving ahead it makes sense to open a new thead but there is more on this project in the Corktown thread, including this:

Little Trinity Church is having a 'community consultation' on their plans for the two derilict houses on King @ Parliament on Sunday 21 November. The sign says they will be starting restoration/building in 2011, info on their perrmit application is a few posts up this thread. Their website describes the plans as:

The Shape of Renewal
The building at 399 King Street east is the central focus of our redevelopment plans. Idle for many years, the building has the potential to provide us with the additional space we need to serve the current congregation and its ministries as well as make room for future growth. Our plans call for a redeveloped and enlarged two-story building which will maintain the historic King Street façade. Located on the ground floor will be a meeting room, a reception area and administrative offices, and a small kitchen. The second floor will provide us with a large multi-functional conference room, a kitchen and a reception space that overlooks the adjacent park. Finally, the basement will feature a dedicated gathering space for youth, lockers and showers for guests and needy visitors, along with some storage space.

The church building, our spiritual home, will receive some important renovations and updates. The toddler and nursery spaces will receive significant upgrades in order to better meet the needs of our youngest members. At the same time the church basement, which is our primary social space, will be refurbished with new finishes, lighting, ventilation and storage in order to provide a modern, inviting community hall.

The outdoor space behind 399 King Street will also be renewed, resulting in a more accessible and friendly site that includes an enclosed lawn and hard surfaced courtyard.

The third building on the property, Little Trinity House, will receive minor renovations as offices are moved into the new building at 399 King Street, making room for more Sunday school rooms and small group meeting spaces.

It's weird that the rendering's windows seem wider than the ones, but that's probably just image compression because the windows are still narrower than the window-specific brickwork above them in the rendering. Also, I'm not sure if Georgian storefronts were so glassy.

Sorry to disagree but this is a total waste of time and resources. It will cost a fortune, probably twice the cost of knocking it down and rebuilding. Why not spend the money on an historcally significant building somewhere else in the city. This builg is NOT significant and the wasteing of time and resources on it are a shame.

It's significant because we want to keep this neighbourhood as historically intact as possible. As for the "put the money into another project" thing-- you clearly have no understanding of capitalism. Why would this church donate money they don't have to a project across the city that they don't own, instead of fixing up these old cottages next door to them, which they own?

There are lots of old buildings in the city that deserve attention-- these ones included. It's the details that count in a city, not just its landmarks.

It's weird that the rendering's windows seem wider than the ones, but that's probably just image compression because the windows are still narrower than the window-specific brickwork above them in the rendering. Also, I'm not sure if Georgian storefronts were so glassy.

Well, they wouldn't have had the large plate glass windows shown in the rendering. But Georgian storefronts sometimes had large expanses of glass - composed of smaller panes as per the rest of the building.

I'm sure Shocker knows what plate glass is. The point is, all that is being seen regarding this proposal is a line drawing.

Great to see these little buildings getting a new lease on life.

Sorry to disagree but this is a total waste of time and resources. It will cost a fortune, probably twice the cost of knocking it down and rebuilding. Why not spend the money on an historcally significant building somewhere else in the city. This builg is NOT significant and the wasteing of time and resources on it are a shame.

There's a dire shortage of Georgian buildings in Toronto, and every remaining example should be saved. Sure it's not some big, fancy Art Deco structure, but it shouldn't be torn down because you deem it historically insignificant. Also, why would the church spend their money on another heritage property in the city that they don't own, and wouldn't be able to use? Churches are the last organization with lots of extra money lying around for a project like that.

I hope I didn't mislead anyone by the first image I posted. I screwed it up when I resized it and it got stretched horizontally. Below is a more accurate pic.

trinitysign.jpg

It's weird that the rendering's windows seem wider than the ones, but that's probably just image compression because the windows are still narrower than the window-specific brickwork above them in the rendering.

Yes, the upper windows are actually double square in proportion, whereas the rendering shows them compressed - barely deeper than square. In which case, I think the 12 panes they propose will surely be larger than would have been the case with the originals. They don't look like they're double sash, either. That's a shame - double sash windows with 12 panes each would have looked splendid!

Back