News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 631     0 

Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension Airport Segment

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score
Creating this thread to discuss the Line 5 - Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Airport Segment, and it's potential. It has been noted as under planning by Infrastructure Ontario in the market release it released this morning for November 2022.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

Let us use this forum to discuss this further west extension of the Eglinton LRT to Pearson Airport.

Creating this thread to discuss the Line 5 - Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Airport Segment, and it's potential. It has been noted as under planning by Infrastructure Ontario in the market release it released this morning for November 2022.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

Let us use this forum to discuss this further west extension of the Eglinton LRT to Pearson Airport.

Is there an updated alignment map for this now?

I remember they had updated it from the original plan. Going up on Explorer instead of Commerce.

As far as I am aware all alignments are conceptual and there may be multiple routes competing. As the link shows this is still firmly in the planning phase
The plan has been for years of building a bridge over the 401 for Commerce Blvd to get to Pearson as an BRT/LRT route. Design plate is confirming that plan. Once on the north side of the 401 for the LRT, it unknow how it will connect to the airport at this time, but the BRT will connect to terminal 1.

Only once a real plan and construction of a new transit hub at the airport, will we know how the LRT will connect to the hub as well other lines.
To take it west to Explorer would require either running on different roads, the transitway or tunnel 100% from Renforth to the airport. It cannot be elevated due to runways being in the way.
As @drum118 pointed out in the West extension thread, an Explorer Drive alignment would almost certainly necessitate a fully tunneled approach. Montreal is showing us how a "quick" 2.5km tunnel can complicate things, albeit there are unique soil conditions that have further complicated that project.

Seriously if they are to start some as simple as twining Highway 17 in 2026, I don't even know if they will even start this extension by 2030.

As @drum118 pointed out in the West extension thread, an Explorer Drive alignment would almost certainly necessitate a fully tunneled approach. Montreal is showing us how a "quick" 2.5km tunnel can complicate things, albeit there are unique soil conditions that have further complicated that project.
No it wouldn't. The plans they've shown before, is that it hangs a right after crossing the 401 and following Renforth/Silver Dart counter-clockwise to (... to where ... that's the real question).

Based on the posts above, and actual committed hard cash for studies, I think this project will “takeoff” soon. $24.4 million was committed from the Province in April, and an undisclosed amount from a $142 million pot for YYZ from the Feds back in March. I’m sure lots is happening behind the scenes to plan this project.

It is only logical to “finish” the Crosstown by extending It to YYZ, which is a huge ridership driver. Due to ballooning infrastructure costs, I’d assume a ton of this extension will be elevated rather than tunnelled.

Metrolinx did a whoopsie with board meeting docs this summer and posted the below map, which shows an alignment that they’re clearly seriously considering.
4A209606-9359-45A7-9901-97B1CDD64FDB.jpeg

Another slip up, at an in-person consultation for the West Extension this summer, they had a map with Matheson, Convair, and YYZ labeled as stops.

There is also this map from MTO, which I’d take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
It looks like a lot of backtracking. Did the plan always invite so much backtracking?

I would prefer the GTAA upgrade to a real people airport people mover and make Renforth the last stop. Take the money that would have been putting an LRT into the airport into a new APM. The current plan for the one and only airport transit hub to be located around Alt Hotel means taking Line 5 to the airport means not only backtracking to the airport but backtracking again on the Dopplemayer APM to T1 (last stop). Totally inefficient.

I would prefer the GTAA upgrade to a real people airport people mover and make Renforth the last stop. Take the money that would have been putting an LRT into the airport into a new APM. The current plan for the one and only airport transit hub to be located around Alt Hotel means taking Line 5 to the airport means not only backtracking to the airport but backtracking again on the Dopplemayer APM to T1 (last stop). Totally inefficient.
I’d much rather backtrack at the airport than have a “people mover to transit” system like many US airports. I like the current plan.

Based on the posts above, and actual committed hard cash for studies, I think this project will “takeoff” soon. $24.4 million was committed from the Province in April, and an undisclosed amount from a $142 million pot for YYZ from the Feds back in March. I’m sure lots is happening behind the scenes to plan this project.

It is only logical to “finish” the Crosstown by extending It to YYZ, which is a huge ridership driver. Due to ballooning infrastructure costs, I’d assume a ton of this extension will be elevated rather than tunnelled.

Metrolinx did a whoopsie with board meeting docs this summer and posted the below map, which shows an alignment that they’re clearly seriously considering.
View attachment 440458

Another slip up, at an in-person consultation for the West Extension this summer, they had a map with Matheson, Convair, and YYZ labeled as stops.

There is also this map from MTO, which I’d take with a grain of salt.
Do you have a link to the document shared about the routing at the Boart Meeting?

I’d much rather backtrack at the airport than have a “people mover to transit” system like many US airports. I like the current plan.
The current plan is you are going to have to take the people mover either way... the question is whether or not it will be from Alt Hotel or Renforth. There is no option of the LRT actually reaching the airport being contemplated.

The issue with the People Mover (PM) to Renforth is the flight path elevation to keep it low if elevated. The same for the LRT. At the same time, headway would double plus since there is only one PM train per line and that is DOA.

If you rebuilt the current PM to a new style, the line will be out of service for 2 years or more using the current alignment.

Replacing the PM with an LRT line along a new route will allow the PM to exist until the LRT extension opens.

The current plan is you are going to have to take the people mover either way... the question is whether or not it will be from Alt Hotel or Renforth. There is no option of the LRT actually reaching the airport being contemplated.
There was a plan for the LRT getting to the airport by Terminal in Mississauga plans

the original alignment was to turn up Commerce instead of Explorer, but I think the thought is Explorer will better serve the employment area there than going up commerce.
You are right as per alignment as well the new route and station. Since this area is under the fight path, elevation for the bridge over the 401 is an issues. With the bridge over the 401 at Commerce, height is not an issue. Mississauga prefer an BRT extension to service Terminals 1 & 3 and up to Humber College.

This is not true. Everything we know about the YYZ Union Station West concept was thrown out the door during COVID. We will have to see what gets cooked up during the planning phase, but regardless it is best to have an LRT directly serving the airport employment area (and YYZ, even if its a short connection) than a people mover.

Back