News   Apr 18, 2024
 612     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Licenses and plates may loom for Toronto cyclists

Spite is a lousy reason to make policy decisions. The city saves money every time someone decides to use active transportation instead of driving or transit. Bike licensing will provide a huge disincentive to those who would bike -- especially casual cyclists -- particularly if you set the fee at a cost-recovery level. The annual licensing fee would end up costing as much or more than the bike.

If you want to get creative, look at licensing bike messengers. That's somewhat more doable.

I think the solution is simple: mandate that every cyclist carry ID when they ride. That's it. If they break the law, then they're pulled over and their ID recorded and sent a fine. If they don't have an ID, they're arrested and taken to the station for finger printing or another form of identification and charged with cycling on a vehicle thoroughfare without ID.

Yesterday at dawn, I was almost mowed down by an e-bike that was quietly but quickly riding in the opposite direction on a one way street with the lights off. Because it's a one way street I happen to give less attention to the side I don't expect vehicles to come from.

These eBikes are becoming hazards on the road. They're just as a big as a scooter, they're silent and those riding them aren't licensed. I don't agree on licensing bicycles but those eBikes definitely need to be. Are we not going to license electric cars because they don't run on gas? Maybe hyperbole, so more apples and apples: are we not going to license electric motorcycles that will eventually replace the combustion engine motorcycles? Just because these eBikes have pedals, it doesn't make them bicycles.

I think the solution is simple: mandate that every cyclist carry ID when they ride. That's it. If they break the law, then they're pulled over and their ID recorded and sent a fine. If they don't have an ID, they're arrested and taken to the station for finger printing or another form of identification and charged with cycling on a vehicle thoroughfare without ID.

Yesterday at dawn, I was almost mowed down by an e-bike that was quietly but quickly riding in the opposite direction on a one way street with the lights off. Because it's a one way street I happen to give less attention to the side I don't expect vehicles to come from.

These eBikes are becoming hazards on the road. They're just as a big as a scooter, they're silent and those riding them aren't licensed. I don't agree on licensing bicycles but those eBikes definitely need to be. Are we not going to license electric cars because they don't run on gas? Maybe hyperbole, so more apples and apples: are we not going to license electric motorcycles that will eventually replace the combustion engine motorcycles? Just because these eBikes have pedals, it doesn't make them bicycles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to carry ID with you anyways while in public in Ontario?

I have mixed feelings about licensing e-bikes. E-bikes and e-scooters max out at about 30km/h, which is a farcry from gas scooters which require licensing of both the vehicle and the operator. Still, if they had to be licensed, then it might give me more legal grounds to sue Daymak for selling such poor quality merchandise!!! :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to carry ID with you anyways while in public in Ontario?
Consider yourself corrected. This is not France or Germany, where at any time the police can demand to see your "state identity card".

Besides, for those without drivers licenses or photo health card, what ID would you possibly have? No one who lives here carries their passport with them at all times.

As an aside, never use your photo health card as ID. There is a law in place that prohibits people from using health cards as ID. It's to avoid OHIP fraud.

If only the police force would actually enforce the laws that already exist. I see bicycles ride past cops on the side walks all the time, and the officers could care less. The City really should encourage people to be using transit, bicycles, and walking. Instead, they will just look toward this money grab, because it's not like they'll actually be enforcing it laws any more. It's a shame that a small percentage of cyclist ruin it for everyone in the end.

The other day, I watched four Toronto Police Officers on bicycles make a left turn through a red light, as I tried to cross at a crosswalk.

The other day, I watched four Toronto Police Officers on bicycles make a left turn through a red light, as I tried to cross at a crosswalk.

Yep. One Friday night I had to get outta the way fast on a sidewalk as four cops on bicycles zoomed down along Adelaide West.

Then there are police horses crapping on the sidewalk and along the curbs. But that's another story.

...never use your photo health card as ID.

If pulled over while riding a bicycle, don’t use your Driver’s License, either. The Highway Traffic Act requires cyclists to identify themselves, but doesn’t require the cyclist to actually show identification. Rather, it states that “giving one’s correct name and address is sufficient identification.” Some cops in this town have developed a little trick to get around this. When they stop you they immediately ask for your Driver’s License. If you fall for this and show it to them, they’ll write the license number on the ticket, and then “forget” to indicate the “Type of Vehicle” involved. When the paperwork arrives at the Ministry the assumption is made that it was a motor vehicle, and demerit points for the infraction will be applied to your record. You will then get to enjoy the process of correcting this “mistake.”

how dreary. is nothing informal or spontaneous anymore?

if canada goes much further down this road i will move to buenos aires.

or stay in quebec ;)

Back