Toronto Library District Condominiums + Toronto's 99th Library | ?m | 29s | Context Development | KPMB

So it it to be assumed this area has 0 cameras around for vandalism and safety? How does a new and very open development fairly new get this spray painted? And not one person sees this happen? Regardless if you like it or not it doesn’t belong there and there’s supose to be laws and security in some way to prevent such things. Not only that but about 500 balconies viewing this spot in general daily. People just don’t care or? Afraid to tattle?

That wall backs onto the rail corridor, so not a lot of close views from balconies, and while there are cameras in that area I doubt any of them point down there. But even if someone did see it happening and was sufficiently scandalized by it to take action, what would they do? Call the police? I promise you that they would not come in time, if they came at all. And good, because that would be a terrible use of resources. Cheaper to regularly repaint the wall than waste police resources on this.

Not everybody's a narc.

I can't get worked up about this; the handsome building itself hasn't been tagged, it's the concrete retaining wall, and I'm of the opinion that a bunch of wild-style lettering is more attractive than bare stained concrete. (I'm more annoyed by all the garbage scattered about.)

That wall backs onto the rail corridor, so not a lot of close views from balconies, and while there are cameras in that area I doubt any of them point down there. But even if someone did see it happening and was sufficiently scandalized by it to take action, what would they do? Call the police? I promise you that they would not come in time, if they came at all. And good, because that would be a terrible use of resources. Cheaper to regularly repaint the wall than waste police resources on this.

I'm not keen on the tagging.

But I think this is best addressed by the following.

Delivering the long promised park to this site; along w/the remaining housing.

Then paint a mural on the concrete (or cover with decorative stone/plantings.)

Police resources are overkill; and just another coat of plain grey/beige/white paint will only invite another round of tagging.

Not everybody's a narc.

I can't get worked up about this; the handsome building itself hasn't been tagged, it's the concrete retaining wall, and I'm of the opinion that a bunch of wild-style lettering is more attractive than bare stained concrete. (I'm more annoyed by all the garbage scattered about.)
Absolutely. Let the wall get blasted, there's no way that you can stop it (and, TBH, I'm fine with that - it's funny that the Keele Wall gets calls for heritage preservation, yet this should be covered up...). It's the litter and garbage that we should really be ashamed of (is that a couch down there?).

Absolutely. Let the wall get blasted, there's no way that you can stop it (and, TBH, I'm fine with that - it's funny that the Keele Wall gets calls for heritage preservation, yet this should be covered up...). It's the litter and garbage that we should really be ashamed of (is that a couch down there?).
Yes, that's a couch.
You think that's bad, take the stairs down from Fort York and Bremner and check out the publicly accessible underside of the Bathurst Bridge. Or don't. Probably a better idea.

It's the litter and garbage that we should really be ashamed of (is that a couch down there?).

Yes, I also remember seeing a whole dining set when I last visited the area.

20201222_132444-jpg.290671

Normally, I despise tagging/graffiti but here there's something interesting in the juxtaposition of the plastered foundation walls/retaining walls and the untouched building directly above. Maybe they should commission something more deliberate but I'm sure, in time, that would get tagged too.

It would, and that's precisely why I'd prefer to see this as an open wall that can evolve with time, rather than a paid, commissioned piece, which will be cool and relevant for a couple of years, but will eventually get painted over in time itself.

Must be the new open air AirBnb's ;)

Yes, I also remember seeing a whole dining set when I last visited the area.

So it it to be assumed this area has 0 cameras around for vandalism and safety? How does a new and very open development fairly new get this spray painted? And not one person sees this happen? Regardless if you like it or not it doesn’t belong there and there’s supose to be laws and security in some way to prevent such things. Not only that but about 500 balconies viewing this spot in general daily. People just don’t care or? Afraid to tattle?
It's interesting though, and has already mentioned, the library portion remains entirely unscathed.

Last edited:

Back