Toronto Library District Condominiums + Toronto's 99th Library | ?m | 29s | Context Development | KPMB

16 March 2013: Although I really wish they'd gone with a different (bolder) shade of green, the green chosen reminds me of 1960s-1970s American cars. Remember those big clunkers--my family had one--with that dull shade of green? Yeah. So I was freezing my arse off down here today and took a ton of photos.

rps20130316215534.jpg

rps20130316215356.jpg

rps20130316215226.jpg

rps20130316214709.jpg

rps20130316214328.jpg

A bit strange that the library folks would be working OT today--but the wood roof is a nice touch.
rps20130316214514.jpg

rps20130316214415.jpg

I was by there today too and I quite like the colours of this building. I think it looks good and adds a nice injection of colour to the dull, grey neighbourhood.

Welcome, AR. The library will be great. I noticed the wood ceiling being installed Friday when I took the pic above. I'm pretty excited about this corner that will really open up Cityplace once Fort York Blvd is finally completed.

Any updated word/renderings of what the sidewalks and intersection will look like when the Bathurst Street bridge is rebuilt and the development at the former Amsterdam Brewery site is finished?

What about plans for the Loblaws warehouse? Currently signs on the site say the facade will be maintained, but, as nice as some of the historic details are, I feel like in the new context, it might be better to scrap the whole thing and build something that addresses Bathurst and Lake Shore better.

Despite the Gardiner this area is becoming a really interesting gateway to the waterfront. I wonder if and when the TCHC buildings that back onto Lake Shore just west of the Esso station will be redeveloped into something that faces the street. Would go a long way into making this a more inviting route to walk from Queen's Quay to Exhibition Place.

What about plans for the Loblaws warehouse? Currently signs on the site say the facade will be maintained, but, as nice as some of the historic details are, I feel like in the new context, it might be better to scrap the whole thing and build something that addresses Bathurst and Lake Shore better.

Oh crap, here we go again.

I wonder if and when the TCHC buildings that back onto Lake Shore just west of the Esso station will be redeveloped into something that faces the street. Would go a long way into making this a more inviting route to walk from Queen's Quay to Exhibition Place.

Those aren't all TCHC buildings; I think at least one is a co-op. And they're much less of an impediment to an inviting walk to Queen's Quay than, say, the giant complicated intersection of Bathurst/Lakeshore/Fleet.

+1

Those aren't all TCHC buildings; I think at least one is a co-op. And they're much less of an impediment to an inviting walk to Queen's Quay than, say, the giant complicated intersection of Bathurst/Lakeshore/Fleet.
Yeah, that intersection is a nightmare ....

I love the colour on this tower. Colour is very subjective, but I think architects can find shades and combinations with broad appeal, like the choice of colour for stucco for the old buildings along the streets of many a European city.

Back