Libeskind: "I won’t work for totalitarian regimes"

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Ethics debate: Take an ethical stance, Libeskind tells his peers

15 February 2008

By Rory Olcayto

Daniel Libeskind has urged architects to think carefully before working in China amid growing concern over the country’s ethical record.

Speaking in Belfast last week, the Polish-born architect who now lives in New York said: “I won’t work for totalitarian regimes… I think architects should take a more ethical stance.â€

He continued: “I love Chinese history. I’m a huge fan of Chinese literature and art. But it bothers me when an architect has carte blanche with a site… We don’t know if is there a public process — who owns this place, this home, this land?â€

His comments follow Prince Charles’s announcement last month that he will not attend the Beijing Olympics because of Chinese policy towards Tibet, and Steven Spielberg’s resignation this week as artistic adviser to the games.

It also comes only weeks after BD revealed that Zaha Hadid has designed a centre to honour a dictator in Azerbaijan, opening a wider ethical debate on working in countries with poor human rights records.

Peter Morrison, chief executive of RMJM, which is designing St Petersburg’s Gazprom tower, said: “We consider the impact the development will have locally and will not work for a client with a history of immoral, criminal or illegal dealings.â€

Architect Nicholas Ray, a lecturer at Cambridge University and author of Architecture and Its Ethical Dilemmas, said he respected Libeskind’s stance. “It’s very good and because of his profile, it sends a strong message,†he said.

Future Systems’ Jan Kaplicky praised Libeskind, saying: “I’m delighted Daniel has said something on this. It’s about time, and I agree 100%. It’s essential you don’t work in a country where the regime has a bad record on human rights.â€

But Will Alsop claimed British architects in China could democratise the nation. “Can you help to make a positive change? Or do you stay away? In which case, the countries are condemned to terrible architects, and nothing moves on,†he said.

Although the RIBA refused to comment, its president Sunand Prasad has privately raised concerns over working in China.

IT'S A MORAL MAZE: JOIN THE DEBATE

With Libeskind refusing to work in China, we’ve been canvassing opinion on ethics. Should architects be guided by an ethical code and if so what might it look like?

This is what some prominent architects told us.

Will Alsop

The thing about China is that it’s opening up, it will change in the future and architects will be part of that opening up.

I just came back from Baku [Azerbaijan]. It’s a country in transition and of course there is lots of corruption. But the choice you have as an architect is can you help to make a positive change, or do you stay away - in which case the countries are condemned to some terrible architects and nothing moves on.

I would draw probably draw the line at Burma though.

Nicholas Ray, author of Architecture and its Ethical Dilemmas

I respect Libeskind’s stance. It’s a very good one and because of his profile, sends a strong message.

There is a danger that an architect’s design could reinforce the power of a regime and become symbolic of that regime. A professional has a duty to judge the nature of a project very carefully.

Jan Kaplicky, Future Systems

I’m delighted that Daniel has said something on this matter. It’s about time and I one hundred per cent agree. It’s absolutely essential you don’t work in a country where a regime has a bad record on human rights.

How many people have been tortured? It’s astonishing. Look at China’s ban on athletes making political comments during the Olympics – that’s extraordinary.

Bill Taylor, director, Hopkins

It’s about individual choice and conscience and I’m not sure you can generalize. Architects should ask themselves whether they should be doing certain work in certain countries on certain projects since it’s not just about the country but about the project.

Thankfully at Hopkins we talk about projects from an ethical basis but we’ve not had to confront this one. We don’t actually look for work in countries like China that have these issues. Not because of the ethics, but because of the practicalities of distance, language etc.

We haven’t had to confront it in the way Libeskind has.

I don’t see how you would write a code of ethics. Take Zimbabwe, for example. If you could design a new hospital there that would do good, what would you decide? Each case would need to be decided on its merits.

Robert Adam, Robert Adam Architects

I think it's a very slippery slope. Where do you draw the lines? I mean, if you're talking about public consultation, what kind of democratic system do you require to say that has been achieved? In what sense were the people of Berlin really consulted about Libeskind's museum?

When is a totalitarian regime a totalitarian regime? By trying to make those judgements you risk becoming part of the political system yourself. If you look at the current bete noire, Zimbabwe, Mugabe has actually been elected, so then you get into the complicated business of deciding when an election is acceptable and when it's not.

Once you enter into that field of making judgements, unless you take a very simplistic view - which Liebeskind does - you end up in trouble.

What we're actually doing of course is saying that the European enlightenment democratic process should be imposed on the world. Libeskind's taking the North-Atlantic or American view. He's acting as a political hegemonist.

There are of course times when you might have qualms about working somewhere, but they're extreme situations. Unless you've been asked to do something directly connected with something unsavoury, I'd take a relaxed view about it.

Terry Farrell, Farrells

I am married to a mainland Chinese woman and I now have many relations, who I intend to get on well with and I see no problem in seeing the whole country in a positive light. I'm doing major railway stations and other public projects in China, which really speaks for itself.

Who’s working in China?
-

* Herzog & de Meuron Beijing Olympic stadium (completed 2008)
* David Chipperfield Architects Liangzhu and Ninetree villages (on site)
* Rem Koolhaas CCTV headquarters (due 2008)
* Zaha Hadid Guangzhou Opera House (due 2009)
* Foster & Partners
* Beijing Airport (due 2008)
* Farrells Masterplan for Pearl Island Shenzhen (2000)
* Arup Dongtan eco-city (appointed 2006); Beijing Olympic aquatics centre (completed 2008)
* Wilkinson Eyre Guangzhou twin towers (due 2009)

Speer?? Anyone?

China still hasn't owned up to the 1989 massacre of it's citizens.

I always thought Libeskind a bit of the prima donna.

I guess I was wrong. Good for him.

And if they can't, China's nouveau riches can always visit The Crystals, a retail/entertainment complex he's designed for the Starchitect District of Las Vegas.

I'm sure there are competent architects in China, and if they want the cachet of a foreign name, they will undoubtedly be able to get one, or many.

It's the symbolism that counts here. Good for Libeskind, for standing on his principles.

Libeskind does have one project in China, the Creative Media Centre for the City University of Hong Kong.

b48e3ebe59.jpg

http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/show-all/creative-media-centre/

I think this applies to everyone, not just architects. Many people claim to have certain ethics and and moral beliefs, but as soon as money is involved, they toss them out the window.

I'm not religious but I enjoy reading about various religions; Buddhists have something they call the "eightfold path" which contains guidelines about how to live a good life. One of the steps on the path is "right livelihood": in other words, it does not matter how wonderful a person you are in your personal or spiritual life if your daily work pulls against this by causing harm in the world. Unless you are on the verge of starvation "it's my job and I have no choice" is a hollow excuse.

It sounds corny but it is very true that you can either be part of a problem, or part of a solution. It's refreshing to hear people like Libeskind and Spielberg -- who don't really need another paycheque for the rest of their lives -- making a statement by choosing who they wish to promote with their talent and fame.

Libeskind is now being accused of hypocrisy because of his City University project in HK.

(I'm surprised it took so long for the media to make the connection. Foundation work for this building had already started when I was in HK last Christmas)

Link to article

Libeskind working on building in Hong Kong

04 April 2008

By Will Hurst, Rory Olcayto

Hypocrisy charge for architect who said he would never work in China

Daniel Libeskind is working on a 25,000sq m public building in Hong Kong, despite the signature architect’s recent call for architects to boycott China.

Speaking in Belfast in February, Libeskind had urged architects to think twice about working in China, calling it a “totalitarian regimeâ€.

But his New York-based practice Studio Daniel Libeskind was quick to defend its stance after it emerged that its huge Creative Media Centre — a scheme for the City University of Hong Kong — had started on site last week.

The development came as Amnesty International urged Gordon Brown and other world leaders on Tuesday to speak out against human rights abuses in Tibet and elsewhere in China ahead of the Beijing Olympics.

Libeskind’s wife Nina, who manages the practice, told BD her husband did not consider that taking on work in Hong Kong was a contradiction, despite its status as a Special Administrative Region of China.

“This is not a dogmatic idea for Daniel,†she said. “It’s a personal thing for him. We’ve seen what has happened in Tibet, but there is a rule of law in Hong Kong that Daniel is comfortable with.â€

Reiterating the firm’s commitment to refusing work in undemocratic regimes she continued:

“This is not just about China. There are many other places, Azerbaijan for example, where foreign architects are making pots of money.â€

But Abe Hayeem, architect and chairman of campaigning group Architects & Planners for Justice in Palestine, accused Libeskind of double standards. “It’s hypocrisy of the first order. Hong Kong is part of China. China is in the top league of human rights abusers… I am surprised that the big names in architecture haven’t already taken a stand.â€

Anne Holmes, acting director of campaign group Free Tibet, said: “If someone said no western company or individual should invest in Tibet until the situation with Chinese occupation is resolved, that’s very clear and not open to misinterpretation.

“If you call for a ban on architects working in China — full stop — then you have to accept that includes Hong Kong.â€

And Erick van Egeraat, who recently questioned the wisdom of Libeskind’s original comments, said that the episode illustrated the dangers of proposing such a boycott. “If you are going to start with such strong stances and want to hold people accountable, then you yourself will be held accountable,†he said.

“Nobody is pleased with what is happening with Tibet at the moment but in every country there’s something going on of which you might have to disapprove.â€

But Libeskind’s position was defended by leading journalist and commentator Simon Jenkins, who called Hong Kong “much more democratic†than the rest of China.

“People made distinctions between the two areas when Britain was ruling the place so why shouldn’t they now?†he asked.

“What I find dodgy is that architects on the whole seem to be willing to go and work for pretty much any country.â€

Hong Kong law
-

Designated as a Special Administrative Region of China, Hong Kong has its own “basic law†and a high degree of autonomy but with foreign policy and the military controlled by China.

A crown colony of the UK until the transfer to Chinese rule in 1997, the two countries agreed Hong Kong will retain its capitalist system for 50 years.

China still has ultimate control over Hong Kong, with residents admitting free speech and other rights are affected by this.

City_View_Libeskind_ready.jpg

Cityscape_View_Libes_106C98.jpg

Look at me ma, I'm Daniel!!!!

dlat3.jpg

My hat's off to you smunky; not only does it appear that you've created a fourth-dimensional centre to your design (thus solving the storage space problem in most condos), but you've managed to get it to levitate too.

Yours is the future of architecture!

Back