News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

Lesser recognized buildings in Toronto that you enjoy

These were probably quite nice when they were first built, too bad they have fallen into disrepair over the years.

jane st.JPG

Attachments

• jane st.JPG
    jane st.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,655
^ the length of those has always been completely ridiculous. Reminds me of those half kilometre long buildings you find in Berlin.

^those are actually 5 different buildings, each about 500m long. Still pretty funky, but not as ridiculous as 4.5km sounds.

I've always had a soft spot for the pavilions on the Islands – I love the low brown brick and the concrete lily-pads. Also, the carousel café building on Centre Island.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Also, a shout out to the little modernist pavilion attached to the front of Knox Presbyterian church at Spadina and Harbord, which is I think not long for this world, but I've always thought was quite charming:

Unknown-2.jpeg

(All photos mine)

I am wondering if people around the GTA shares a similar taste with the downtown Torontonians.

I've always liked The Americana at 141 Erskine Ave. Designed by Uno Prii, 1963. Took this shot last month:
48627421396_ddbb2d6d3e_b.jpg

The consistent problem with these Priis: pallid, unsympathetic balcony replacements. (Here's what 44 Walmer looked like before)

uno-prii-balcony-design-at-44-walmer-rd-toronto-2000-later.jpg

Weston Centre is one of my favourite buildings in the city, and it is definitely not well recognized. Most people outside this forum probably wouldn't even place it in Toronto. The shape, cladding, atrium all form a really unique looking structure. I wish those 4 structures on the ground floor were not built, and the building's unique atrium could've been more visible (and also placed at ground level, rather than being elevated).

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 04.08.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 04.10.19.png

Back