News   Sep 03, 2024
 264     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.6K     2 

Leslie St North of the Spit

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think landscaping has ever been a Toronto priority.

^Couldn't agree more.

But there is one thing I watched the city do this summer that has quite impressed me.

Right next to the water treatment plant and across from some new mega box complex the city workers have constantly been tending to and caring for this stretch of street that leads to the spit. So in fact, there are some wonderful workers who pay attention to detail... Although I'm not sure why it's so isolated and we can't see more of this. (I'm thinking of that pic from DT Toronto geek of the tree surrounded by cement at Church & Wellesley).

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1068.jpg

DSCN1075.jpg

DSCN1074.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

DSCN1072.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

Why such attention to detail at this relatively out of the way place?

That's a WaterfrontToronto project - and Leslie St. is meant to be the access point for the upcoming Lake Ontario Park.

AoD

Well, whoever's responsible has done a wonderful job. Let's hope this attention to city greenery is contagious.

off-topic

I've noticed a number of asphalt traffic islands receiving landscaping as well as been cared for so who knows ... maybe there is some hope still with those in charge.

traffic.jpg

This one at Parliament & Adelaide is currently being re-developed. It includes the parking space infront of the warehouses as well

These aren't Toronto's first, or only recent, stabs at landscaping: we just like to forget about certain facts that disprove our arguments when we want to raise a fuss.

That said, I completely agree that more needs to be done. I do wish we spent more on keeping our parks green, and paid more attention to the look of our streets. Any improvements (like this one) are quite welcome. Other recent ones include St. George through the U of T, the HBBH (or Humber Bay Butterfly Habitat) on the Etobicoke waterfront, HtO, the Don Valley Brickworks...

Judging by Casaguy's photos I'd have to agree that the city has done an admirable job down there. (I'll have to check it out in person someday.) It's odd that so much attention would be lavished on a part of the city that is largely inaccessible, while heavily used areas like Dundas and Bay are left to crumble into an almost Dickensian blight. I guess with our local govt. being largely dysfunctional and bankrupt it's a small miracle that anything gets done. So, kudos for getting this one right.

off-topic

I've noticed a number of asphalt traffic islands receiving landscaping as well as been cared for so who knows ... maybe there is some hope still with those in charge.

traffic.jpg

This one at Parliament & Adelaide is currently being re-developed. It includes the parking space infront of the warehouses as well

Drove by it last night and it looks like a bunch of raised gardens are going in there. Hard to tell right now, but so far it looks really good. I think they have removed the right hand turn lane to make way for an open space.

off-topic

traffic.jpg

That redevelopment is part of a television show that does small beautification projects around Toronto. The show hasn't aired yet I think but it will be on HGTV. These projects at done with no cost to the city. :)

Those nose-shaped traffic island redos usually become the most cherished public spaces in the community. The best example I can think of is "Alexander the Great square" at Logan and Danforth. The thimble and sewing kit square in front of the Morgan condo at Richmond and Spadina is also well done. If it weren't for the TTC bus turnaround at Bloor and Christie, that one would also be a good candidate for a "nose job".

That redevelopment is part of a television show that does small beautification projects around Toronto. The show hasn't aired yet I think but it will be on HGTV. These projects at done with no cost to the city. :)

Are you sure? This was no small re-do of the intersection. It was a complete reno from the ground up with a change to the road layout and utilities.

One year later, this stretch of bike lanes is maturing beautifully (although a hedge clipper could do wonders here). But the over-grown lush green is beautiful too. The city did a great job with this.

DSCN3412.jpg

Did Roger duToit do a plan for a massive overhaul of the parklands surrounding the treatment plant? Is this part of that or is that an entirely seperate project?

Back