News   Apr 15, 2024
 943     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 648     0 

LCBO Moves - Rumoured and confirmed

There is a building permit application in yesterday for a temporary LCBO on Market Street (in the ground floor of the old/new Fish Market building.) It will replace the Front Street LCBO while they expand it into the 1st floor of the Fish Market building. (When all is done the Front Street Store will occupy its existing space PLUS the whole of the 1st floor of the "Fish Market Building".) I understand that they hope to be able to start the reno etc of the Front Street part by late August.

The Danforth/Broadview area LCEEB is moving to the north side to the Albany Clinic site. The application for site plan approval for 1 storey + Mezzanine has now been filed w/the City.

One storey is unfortunate on this site, though that store sorely needs replacing......hopefully they'll create an illusion of 2-storeys like Shopper's Did.

In other news, the Maple Leaf Square store opens Aug 4

^^^^ I thought so too...........let's see where this goes.

While perusing an article on the proposed new Whole Foods on Bayview, just north of Eglinton I noted that they proposed to share space alongside a brand new LCBO.

They don't show the breakdown on size, but the overall proposed build is about 76,000sq ft; as I don't believe WF would go beyond 60,000 (just supposition) this would look to be a very large LCEEB

Article here:

http://mytowncrier.ca/grocery-plan-for-vacant-lot-heads-to-omb.html

Here we go.......some real LCBO store news...

First...I got this off the LCBO's Trade Resources page, so I will assume its accurate. It seems to have all new store opening projected through mid-2012.

Now that said...there are a few surprises.........

Listed as BY DEC 31, 2011 (opening)

- Maple Leaf Gardens (I had thought that one was canned......)

- College & Euclid (where? I'm curious!)

- St. Lawrence Market (I'm assuming they mean the new Market St. one)

Listed as SPRING 2012

333 King St. East (Sun Bldg)......huh? Why would it take that long.....?

and

Rimrock Plaza (just off Allen Rd. north of Sheppard W)

Here's the source link for retail geeks.

http://www.lcbotrade.com/upcoming_store_openings.htm

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/28/danforth-clinic-to-become-new-lcbo-outlet/

Danforth clinic to become new LCBO outlet

Emily Innes Oct 28, 2011 – 11:15 PM ET

The LCBO plans to open a number of new stores in downtown Toronto, including one in a long-abandoned clinic on the Danforth slated to be torn down and replaced with a building just for the liquor shop’s use.

The Liquor Control Board of Ontario confirmed Friday it intends to tear down the existing structure and build a new store, which will open in the spring of 2012.

The store will be one of the larger LCBO models, offering about 8,500 square feet of shopping space, almost three times the size of the current store located at 213 Danforth Ave. Indications are that the store will have a second level, but for staff use only.

There was a significant amount of upset when the large, two-storey Shopper’s Drug Mart store was built on the Danforth near Broadview — less than a block away from the abandoned medical clinic and soon-to-be-LCBO. While under construction in 2008, critics complained of a noted influx of large, single-use stores opening on downtown strips, proclaiming it a “suburbanization of the city.” Other examples include the Shoppers Drug Mart at Queen and Parliament, the LCBO on Yonge north of Davisville and the Canadian Tire at Lake Shore Boulevard East and Leslie Street. The large stores were built despite the outcry.

She has viewed the proposed plans and said it will be a newer-model LCBO. “It’s quite stylish in terms of what it looks like,” she said.

“They want to stay in the area, but they just want a bigger retail space. We welcome them to the north side of the street.”

On Dec. 11, a smaller location will be opening in Little Italy at 549 College St. at Euclid Avenue.

A 4,000-square-foot store will be opening in December in the former Maple Leafs Garden building, at 60 Carlton St. at Church Street.

Among several other new stores due to open in the months ahead are ones in the St. Lawrence Market and on King Street East, according to the LCBO website — areas teeming with condominiums.

Confrimation of the Maple Leaf Gardens Location opening date: (Dec 6)

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/mlglcbo1116.aspx

Also, from the LCBO's webpages.....

Parkway Mall - Scarborough location, to be rebuilt for Summer 2012

and

York Mills Gardens to get a location (plaza w/Longos at Leslie/York Mills)

I am assuming, but don't know, that this will go into the vacated Shopper's Drug Mart space beside the Longos.

I think there is going to be an LCBO opening up in the Loblaws at Bathurst and Lakeshore. Adam Vaughan mentioned 'the liquor store' going up at that location at the Cityplace Resident's Association AGM last weekend.

Confrimation of the Maple Leaf Gardens Location opening date: (Dec 6)

http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/devnews/mlglcbo1116.aspx

it will be a barrier-free store, with elevator access, five checkouts and 4,000 square feet of retail space, including a 1,300 product-strong Vintages section.

Ugh. Only five checkouts for such a big store? The Yonge and Dundas store is a madhouse on Friday and Saturday nights right now. They often have six checkout lines open but still every line will have a dozen people in it. Check out lines have also slowed down noticeably since the proliferation of chip credit and debit cards which take much longer to process and since everyone discovered that the LCBO is the best no-fee ATM.

I really hope this store doesn't have such awful lines, but I am not optimistic.

Last edited:
I think there is going to be an LCBO opening up in the Loblaws at Bathurst and Lakeshore. Adam Vaughan mentioned 'the liquor store' going up at that location at the Cityplace Resident's Association AGM last weekend.
It was also mentioned when Vaughan held a neighbourhood info session about that Loblaws months ago -- of course, they have to start building there, so it will be a while before any kind of timeline can be put on something like this

Ugh. Only five checkouts for such a big store? The Yonge and Dundas store is a madhouse on Friday and Saturday nights right now. They often have six checkout lines open but still every line will have a dozen people in it. Check out lines have also slowed down noticeably since the proliferation of chip credit and debit cards which take much longer to process and since everyone discovered that the LCBO is the best no-fee ATM.

I really hope this store doesn't have such awful lines, but I am not optimistic.

All the busy LCBOs downtown should really move to a single queue system, IMO.

Back