News   Apr 15, 2024
 947     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 649     0 

Laneway Housing and Garden Suites

The fatal flaw in the "tenants hold all the cards" argument is this:

Everyone requires a place to live, no one is required to become a landlord.

The landlord always holds the biggest card.

If you find that amateur landlording/Airbnbing is not for you, you can get out of it at any time.
Yes, but your like it or lump it attitude is keeping property owners and investors from getting into or staying in the residential rental business.

We have a shortage of rental housing in Toronto, so why not incentive people to get in and stay in the landlord business? It's not rocket science, just ask landlords what they want. For starters, an easy eviction process for cause, such as damage to the property, subletting, commercial use, abuse of utilities, smoking, other lease violations and of course non-payment of rent. As it stands now, you can't evict anyone in the winter. Allow damage deposits and perhaps key money (standard in Japan, for example) payments to weed out the unsavory tenants. As it stands now, the system is broken for landlords, https://www.tvo.org/article/is-the-deck-stacked-against-small-landlords including free legal aid for tenants, but nothing for landlords.

On the flipside, rent increases and the mysterious evictions due to renovations and claims of owner use should be more controlled. In my book, the old story of my sister is moving in, so you need to leave, need to be aggressively investigated, and if it's determined that the landlord simply wanted to flip and avoid capital gains tax or to replace the tenant with a higher paying one, that needs to be a criminal fraud charge.

That said, many landlords I know who've got crappy tenants failed to use the tools already at their disposal; such as employer and income checks, reference checks and other due diligence. Whenever I read about one of these scofflaw tenants that skip from property to property I ask myself, did no one ask to speak with the last landlord or require a credit check? The best tenants I've heard of are those my landlord friends knew already, so were never advertised on the rental market, but that can always go sideways so the income, references and past landlord checks are still essential.

Last edited:

If you find that amateur landlording/Airbnbing is not for you, you can get out of it at any time.

Then continue to pay sky high rents. It's simple, protect landlords a bit and costs won't be built into the rent. Go be a landlord and have a tenant stop paying rent. You'd change your tune because even when your tenant doesn't pay rent he/she holds all the cards.

The government isn't doing anything with regards to providing adequate rental housing, so the amateur landlords are all you have. You should be encouraging more to get into the business. More supply, lower rents.

Why this veteran builder thinks prefabricated homes are the way of Toronto’s future

By Tess Kalinowski Real Estate Reporter
Tues., July 30, 2019

What if you could go to Ikea and purchase an entire house — flat-packed, ready to assemble?

That is the basic idea behind R-Hauz Solutions Inc., founded by veteran Toronto builder Leith Moore.

He wants to prefabricate panelized midrise and laneway homes that could be sold cheaper and assembled faster than traditional construction. Property owners would select the design they want, have the panels and materials shipped and then the building would be assembled and finished on-site.

It’s common in Europe, it is catching on in the U.S. and it could be the future of Canadian home-building, say some housing experts.

Moore, along with Dumar Construction and Waverley Projects, has purchased two properties on Queen St. E. near Coxwell Ave. that will serve as a demonstration site for the concept that could be one solution for creating the midrise format Toronto wants to encourage on its streetcar avenues.

Does anyone here have any experience actually building or finding a contractor to construct a laneway home? Looking for insight.

Since the city is waiving permit fees for laneway homes for the time being I'm thinking now is the time.

Laneway housing is great and all, but it seems to be a symptom of avoidance of the real elephant in the room - the sacred Yellow Belt that no one dares speak of.

Exactly. It seems obvious that we need to both up zone large swaths of the city (yellow belt) and speed up the approval process for medium density construction (townhouses, multiplex, mid-rise).

Laneway housing is great and all, but it seems to be a symptom of avoidance of the real elephant in the room - the sacred Yellow Belt that no one dares speak of.
It’s a start though- the key is to ease the public into accepting it. I would say that the next push should be in getting city planning on board.

Maybe start talking to City of Toronto planners on Twitter?

Sorry guys, I lied....it's actually only two 3-beds....the centre unit is only a 2-bed. Laneway house is still there...didn't imagine that one. :p

However, let's compare this piece of infill to the houses on either side of it:

Each one is divided into three flats. Both have a 1-bed basement flat and two full floor 2-beds for a total of 5 bedrooms of unit each vs the one we're working on being a total of 9 bedrooms of unit. Densify the place one lot at a time!

The Garak Residence is a new single family residence located in downtown Toronto. The property which had been used as a parking lot for many decades has been developed as an urban garden pavilion.

1579956534907.png

1579956549188.png

This is such a simpleminded view. If landlords disappeared and left rental housing up to the government where do you think rents would be? Everyone has a right to a home. You’re confusing a right to live somewhere with entitlement to a home with all the bells and whistles in the heart of the city but paying reduced rent for it. Too many people want more than thry can afford.

It’s the governments responsibility to provide affordable housing.

Back