Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Lrenders.jpg

It's ironic how the Canadian Opera Company moved to a new home which was expected to become a new icon for our city. Turns out the 4SC Centre ended up being a boring box while the COC's former home is slated to becoming Toronto's most recognized buildings.

Disclaimer: Before Urban Shocker and Building Babel reply to my above comment on how the 4SC is meant for opera goers and how it serves its purpose as an opera house and how its interaction with the street around it doesn't matter... I do like the 4SC as an Opera House but it fails in so many ways to give back to the city. The L Tower is open to the city, it's elegant and enriches that corner immeasurably.

It's not a derivative box. It's something new and unique for Toronto, without being too unique (read: pointy ROM tumor) and for that I am thankful.

It's ironic how the Canadian Opera Company moved to a new home which was expected to become a new icon for our city. Turns out the 4SC Centre ended up being a boring box while the COC's former home is slated to becoming Toronto's most recognized buildings.

Wasn't the COC's move the catalyst for the AHA Centre and the L Tower? Perhaps we should be thanking them for giving us two Toronto landmarks in one shot.

I like the design but I'm still not convinced about its relationship with the Sony Centre.

I like the design but I'm still not convinced about its relationship with the Sony Centre.

Precisely my thoughts. The condo project is iconic and bold, but it seems to swallow up the Sony Centre which seems rather disrespectful. That said, I'm looking forward to this project.

Precisely my thoughts. The condo project is iconic and bold, but it seems to swallow up the Sony Centre which seems rather disrespectful. That said, I'm looking forward to this project.

Talking about disrespectful....

It still looks like a big giant invisible man wearing a go-go boot stepping on a building....esp photo # 1.

This L building woulda actually suited the ROM site better than the Crystal. A nice tower on Bloor St, nice retail podium and Dinosaurs in the arch area. And the Crystal's "suburban spread" would've suited the Hummingbird's site better. Daniel I dare you to admit the truth!

I don't mind this boot-shaped building, either. It's just too bad that it is stepping on something.

I suspect Mr. Libeskind is having a bit of a joke with this one.
Not that the tower doesn't look great.

I still wish we were getting a Libeskind to replace the EDS building immediately north of the O'Hummm...er, Sony Centre instead. It'd be a good lot for a stand-alone iconic tall tower.

I suspect Mr. Libeskind is having a bit of a joke with this one.
Not that the tower doesn't look great.

I still wish we were getting a Libeskind to replace the EDS building immediately north of the O'Hummm...er, Sony Centre instead. It'd be a good lot for a stand-alone iconic tall tower.

I'd rather they replaced the EDS building with an exact replica of what was there before.

I still prefer a passable corned beef and a pickle to looking at this monstrosity despite its place in highrise Toronto history. This is where/when the term "fugly" was coined.

The EDS Building or the Toronto Board of Trade Building?

Back