Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

You could care less. How thoughtful! Ya, just throw 550 out on the streets. 550 people with families, bills to pay. They didn't know the plant was closing - infact, many of them only found out hours before it hit the media. They have more than ample time to search for another job - are you being serious? Tell me how these 550 people are going to find jobs, please - enlighten me. May be you will help them find jobs? So you expected these people to start looking for work because they (in your words) had to know the plant was going to close eventually? You know, for some people this plant was their life. This is where they worked for over 20 years - this is all they knew. You try to get someone in their 50's a new job and see how that works out for you. I find your comments disgusting.

Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay cruzin. The world's not ending in December. The majority of those individuals will find a job. There's plenty of jobs out there, don't worry. If you're that dramatic and "disgusted" by my comment, we'll hire a few of those people to put you at ease. Take a pill! Eat an Oreo!

Retraining has always been an issue for people changing careers. Especially when they haven't saved enough to take time off and go back to school. We shouldn't be clinging onto manufacturing jobs, that's head in the sand, with a strong ca$ manufacturing is going overseas whether you like it or not. Go with the flow. Growth is moving to other areas (residential construction has been blatantly obvious, everyone is pissed at this one), agriculture, natural resource e&d. You always hear about a shortage of trades workers, many of these people can move into the trades. Retail is another option. Times are changing, but that's life, deal with it. Every day there are people living in 100x worse conditions, at least Toronto isn't a war zone.

I also wanted to say 27 condo towers on this site is ******* crazy. I feel really sorry for riders on the 501 streetcar. First Mirvish and now this. Something HAS to break.

According to the Globe, 27 towers representing more than 7k units is the plan. Sorry but this is unacceptable.

27 towers seems a lot for the site but the question is how tall they define towers. 27 buildings (small buildings) could easily fit the site.

If they do go for 7,000 units....

7,000 units divided by 27 buildings = 259 units per building

say 10 units per floor = 25 floors more or less (example ICE - 647 units 65 floors)

Poetially 27 buildings 25 floors each - Will never happen.

(unless some are very tall)

Last edited:
I can see the argument that redevelopment would be best but somehow I think we need to protect a good mix of "employment lands" throughout the city. I make this argument even if the site sits empty for a generation. Perhaps my opinion is idealistic in the same sense as those who want to keep school lands from development after they are mothballed, for the benefit of future generations.

On the employment issue, this is certainly sad. I was surprised however by the commercial report someone posted in another thread that indicated that industrial production in the 416 actually increased from 2006 to 2011. Unless that was a blip it would seem that despite the goods production decline rhetoric we actually produce more stuff than ever, we just don't need as many people to do it.

Retain the site for construction of a Humber Bay Bridge for the Gardiner. West end here and East end just before the EX. Lets the city rehab Lakeshore blvd and shorten the trip around the bend in the Gardiner. yeah yeah only in my fantasy world...

I love buildings and highrises but obviously 27 towers on 28 acres is retarded

Quite possibly this is a case of asking for/proposing 27 in the hopes that when you back off to a lower number it seems like a big win!

This is ripe for a proper planned development, including a new GO Station, a relocation of Humber Loop, shopping, offices, a school/community centre and condos. TCHC should have units in this development as well. Too bad it will likely be a Concord Park Place type development, but without the subway access.

This is ripe for a proper planned development, including a new GO Station, a relocation of Humber Loop, shopping, offices, a school/community centre and condos. TCHC should have units in this development as well. Too bad it will likely be a Concord Park Place type development, but without the subway access.

City Council needs to insist that the developer provide Section 37 funding for a development of this scale. This development needs a GO train station, and train service running more than once an hour. It also needs an elementary and high school with capacity for several thousand children (no new schools have been built here despite the many new condos) and a shopping centre (the only grocery store is in a big box centre north of the Gardiner).

Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay cruzin. The world's not ending in December. The majority of those individuals will find a job. There's plenty of jobs out there, don't worry. If you're that dramatic and "disgusted" by my comment, we'll hire a few of those people to put you at ease. Take a pill! Eat an Oreo!

Easy for anyone to say that isn't losing their job. There are not "plenty of jobs out there", least not at the moment. I think Cruzin was being compassionate, something that may be foreign to many. The majority will find a job? Awesome, and the rest??? These things happen I can understand, but being at least a bit compassionate about it, even if you're faking it, would be nice. I am not one of these people, but I certainly can feel and understand how disruptive to their lives events like this would be. It's much easier for those born with silver spoons in their mouths, who dont have to worry about situations like this.

you have to realize that while it is saddening for these people to lose their jobs, it is unfortunately the cycle of capitalism. land values rise and fall, and land is an important part of capitalism. This factory has been around for 70 years, and the people employed there should feel proud that their old factory so close to the city lasted so much longer than the average lifespan of an industrial facility. it is saddening to see these people lose their jobs, but they are being provided a years notice to attempt to find another one. I find that the company is going through with their letting go in the most dignifying way possible. this land is simply too valuable to let 500 people keep their jobs, when 7,000 people could be living here, with hundreds more employed than currently as well.

andrew, there is a grocery store going in across the street in the westlake development, along with lots of other retail. this part of the city will become a lot more liveable once that development is finished.

you have to realize that while it is saddening for these people to lose their jobs, it is unfortunately the cycle of capitalism. land values rise and fall, and land is an important part of capitalism. This factory has been around for 70 years, and the people employed there should feel proud that their old factory so close to the city lasted so much longer than the average lifespan of an industrial facility. it is saddening to see these people lose their jobs, but they are being provided a years notice to attempt to find another one. I find that the company is going through with their letting go in the most dignifying way possible. this land is simply too valuable to let 500 people keep their jobs, when 7,000 people could be living here, with hundreds more employed than currently as well.

andrew, there is a grocery store going in across the street in the westlake development, along with lots of other retail. this part of the city will become a lot more liveable once that development is finished.

Exactly. You couldn't say it any better.

Easy for anyone to say that isn't losing their job. There are not "plenty of jobs out there", least not at the moment. I think Cruzin was being compassionate, something that may be foreign to many. The majority will find a job? Awesome, and the rest??? These things happen I can understand, but being at least a bit compassionate about it, even if you're faking it, would be nice. I am not one of these people, but I certainly can feel and understand how disruptive to their lives events like this would be. It's much easier for those born with silver spoons in their mouths, who dont have to worry about situations like this.

I've worked for two companies that went belly up. No sign of it at all and I didn't get any packages either.

If anyone really wants a job, they can find it. Of course I'd be more compassionate if it was part of their crew, but in reality, this is life. Many have worked in that factory for a long time, which is rare these days. In addition, they are having almost a year notice and a decent package.

Now, now... Lets try to stay civilized. I can certainly feel for the people losing their jobs but on the face of it, it appears they're being treated fairly respectably. My father was recently let go and they did it on a Friday afternoon with zero notice and watched him pack up him things to never return after working there for decades. He managed to find alternate employment. These workers have a year to plan, the vast majority should be fine.

More on topic: I've always thought this was a weird place for a factory (I had no idea it was so old). Surprised it's lasted this long being almost on the water, those views will sell like hotcakes. Will be missed though as I've always associated the water-tower with "arriving" when returning to Toronto.

And we're freaking out about 7,000 units but it will no doubt be phased. And who knows what the new norm for density in this area will be in another few years.

Well well - quite some time ago I said that this plant was not long for this world, and immediately had detractors insisting it wasn't going anywhere, even as an army of condo towers have surrounded it. Where are those deluded people now?

As for the jobs lost, it's unfortunate, especially for the lifers who have very little chance of finding something similar. That being said however, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time - the clock started ticking when the first of those motels on Lakeshore were demolished for condo towers in the 90's. This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

And once this parcel is built out, I guarantee that the Food Terminal will go. Maybe even sooner. It's logical.

Back