Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

There's no website up yet about the site, so nowhere official to leave comments. I was told that a few months from now (like late spring or early summer) there will likely be a first concept presented for feedback.

Thanks I appreciate it!

Really interested to see if they will angle for an employment conversion here.

Emily, nobody lives in hotels. This could have a hotel demand - there historically have been plenty of hotels in this area. Lots of offices in the area for visiting business persons and this is close to lots of great parkland for tourists.

They always talk about creating a community for the proposed high density areas in Toronto. This place is no exception. In fact it's more special than others proposed high density areas. Because of its many styles of different transit nodes and location to the parks and lake. Makes it a great place to plop down hotel and office buildings too!

Oh really - I'm not familiar with this area. Are the people living in these new condos right now young people working in downtown? I feel like it's going to be hard to attract tenants for office space or tourists/businesses for hotels as there isn't a lot of offices in south Etobicoke?

Long term, all of these stations should probably be built. The focus right now should be on prioritization. Let's see...

upload_2018-2-26_14-50-26.png

I'm not a planning expert but it seems obvious that Park Lawn should be built before Kirby.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-26_14-50-26.png
    upload_2018-2-26_14-50-26.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 547
@W. K. Lis, it seems they are accepting of skip-stop service now. Mimico is staying where it is (as it should).

Had to look up that phrase "skip-stop". In Wikipedia, it's defined as:

When skip stops are used in rail transit, the transit operator designates stations as either major or minor, typically by ridership. Usually, all vehicles stop at the major stations, but only some vehicles stop at the minor ones.

Since one rail vehicle can only pass another by using an additional track, skip-stop may require additional investment in infrastructure if express services, where trains skip many stops along a route, are employed simultaneously with vehicles making stops on every station.

In systems that have no extra track for a faster train to pass a slower train, skip-stop may be employed either during busier travel hours to reduce travel time of a particular train, or during off-peak hours to raise efficiency by not stopping on "unpopular" stations.

In some systems, such as the New York City Subway, these are considered as two separate services (J/Z, the former 1/9; and formerly the D/Q—the latter of which were in fact two separate services), as if the two services were separate lines instead of two different stopping patterns on the same line. On other systems, such as Philadelphia's SEPTA Market-Frankford Line, they are distinguished by lights on the train, and stations skipped by half the trains are designated "A" and "B" stations depending on which trains stop there.

Chicago's elevated system used skip-stop service from the 1940s until the early 1990s, at which point all-stop service patterns replaced skip-stop service. This was done to reduce waiting times for passengers riding to or from "A" and "B" stations who could only take half of the trains. It also eliminated the need for a train transfer for passengers riding from an "A" station to a "B" station which required a transfer at an "AB" (all trains stop) station to complete their trip. Further, the system was simpler to use for new riders and visitors.

The Santiago Metro runs skip-stop services on line 2, line 4, and line 5 during the morning and evening rush hours; trains with red marker lights stop only at the minor stations that are located on the red route (la ruta roja), and trains with green marker lights stop only at the minor stations that are located on the green route (la ruta verde). There are some stations where all trains stop, which are known as common stations (estaciones comunes); common stations allow passengers to change between trains to get to their final destination.

Train_animation_%28skip-stop%29.gif

By Vcohen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50482263

Had to look up that phrase "skip-stop". In Wikipedia, it's defined as:
By Vcohen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50482263
I made the recommendation for skip-stop as far back as 2007 for new and existing stations when asked by Metrolinx if there should be more station on the existing lines. All new stations don't need parking lots or full blown station.

Its something GO wasn't willing to look at until now. You can have various type of service from a milk train that stops at every station to full express trains running from one point to another with no stops between them.

All GO Lines needs to be double to triple track, with the Lakeshore being 4 tracks 100%. If you are single track, you need a fair number of passing sidings.

Park Lawn been on the radar the last 10 years, but Metrolinx/GO refused to see the need for it until now. No need for a kiss & ride or a parking lot for Park Lawn. May need a few accessibility parking spots only. This leaves more room for development on the site.

No need for a streetcar loop since it can loop back onto Lake Shore in either direction after leaving the GO Station.

The funny thing about all of this is that GO Transit ran various skip-stop services on the Lakeshore West line up until recently, so for them not to even consider it for Park Lawn prior to this point just contradicted their own point of doing so. The only rationale was that "the stops are located too close" which was just a bogus excuse.

Actually, regarding potential office use on site, First Capital seems to have changed their tune.

Based on our conversations going back to last summer it went:

1) No office is planned
2) An office building is being contemplated
3) Office buildings are being contemplated.

Which is the current one? Because I'd prefer to have offices.
It's consecutive - so 3 :)

But.. and here's the big but... If the community wants this daycare, community centre, transit hub, etc - it will have to play nice regarding residential. I know my fellow neighbours are wary of anything with balconies going up anywhere near HBS, but this is the price to pay to get nice things. Unfortunately the unscrupulous thieves threw up their garbage towers and didn't pay the right price for it, but we have ourselves to blame, and our councillor (which is our blame), so be it.

Back