Toronto Konzulat Town | 11m | 3s | RAJACan Developments Inc | Richard Wengle

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Project website: https://www.konzulattowns.com/home

History of this site:

Historicist: Bombs on Spadina Road

Protests and bombs at the Yugoslavian Consulate at Spadina and Montclair.

In the 1960s two bombs, 14 months apart, exploded outside the Yugoslavian Consulate at 377 Spadina Road. Although nobody was seriously injured in either blast, significant chunks of the building were destroyed, and hundreds of windows in the surrounding homes were shattered. For several years, the corner of Spadina and Montclair attracted considerable attention from Torontonians opposed to Josip Broz Tito‘s regime in Yugoslavia, and was a target for extreme protests.

1583808613649.png

Currently this:

1583808657266.png

It looks like a bit of a pastiche of Victorian and Edwardian architectural styles, but the rendering shows a relatively disciplined historicist design. One of the townhouses has a convincing Bay and Gable design, minus the bargeboard trim, which is interesting. I'm quite curious how it'll turn out.

The roof lines and detailing on the windows look to be of fairly reasonable quality so far. The rendering appears to indicate brick and stone cladding to finish the building, where the execution will be critical to define whether this will end up as a Kleinburg McMansion or tasteful historic adaptation.

Last edited:
Fascinating bit about the former Yugoslavian consulate, being a former Yugoslavian myself. I wonder if this building turned into the Republic of Serbia consulate later. It was definitely in the same area. I know because I had to go pay them a visit and ask if they'll arrest me at the airport on my first visit home due to still having a citizenship and not done military service 🤨

The roof lines and detailing on the windows look to be of fairly reasonable quality so far. The rendering appears to indicate brick and stone cladding to finish the building, where the execution will be critical to define whether this will end up as a Kleinburg McMansion or tasteful historic adaptation.
Makes me wonder if they're planning to have jousting matches out back when they open it with that design though.

Rendering of the expected finished townhomes in colour:

konz.jpg

Back