Kingston&Co Condominiums (Main and Main Dev & TAS) - Real Estate -

For those who have bedrooms that are recessed in their condo (so bedrooms that are not against the outside of the building and thus do not have windows) these bedrooms still need a "window" to constitute as a bedroom by code.

How this is being done in our condos is that the bedroom wall facing towards the exterior of the building has bas been made into a clear glass wall with a glass sliding door. This voids any privacy for that bedroom as people in the rest of the house have a full view of the interior entire bedroom.

For an example check out Perry's photos above. It is the room beside his refrigerator.

People are upset because the plans led us to believe it was going to be a solid drywall with a frosted glass sliding door, not a clear glass wall with a clear glass door that offers no privacy.

As well, if we frost the glass ourselves within the first year of occupancy, we will void the warranty on the glass.

People aren't happy about the glass wall not be explicitly shown from the beginning.

Thanks. fortunately, that doesn't apply to me. All rooms have windows except washroom, laundry room and WIC....I was worried they were referring to the sliding glass doors to balconies/patios.

Personally, I'd be more pissed about the giant access panel in his bathroom ceiling. Really hoping they hide that in my laundry room. You can't do anything about that.

For those who have bedrooms that are recessed in their condo (so bedrooms that are not against the outside of the building and thus do not have windows) these bedrooms still need a "window" to constitute as a bedroom by code.

How this is being done in our condos is that the bedroom wall facing towards the exterior of the building has bas been made into a clear glass wall with a glass sliding door. This voids any privacy for that bedroom as people in the rest of the house have a full view of the interior entire bedroom.

For an example check out Perry's photos above. It is the room beside his refrigerator.

People are upset because the plans led us to believe it was going to be a solid drywall with a frosted glass sliding door, not a clear glass wall with a clear glass door that offers no privacy.

As well, if we frost the glass ourselves within the first year of occupancy, we will void the warranty on the glass.

People aren't happy about the glass wall not be explicitly shown from the beginning.

Now that I've had time to think about this more, I'd be pissed too. It suggests incompetence on the part of the architect/developer, or an intentional bait and switch. If every bedroom must have a window, how could the architect/developer not know this prior to going into sales and releasing floor plans. you can't tell me Teeple - who's done multiple condos has never ran into this. Unless it's a recent change to the OBC?

Now that I've had time to think about this more, I'd be pissed too. It suggests incompetence on the part of the architect/developer, or an intentional bait and switch. If every bedroom must have a window, how could the architect/developer not know this prior to going into sales and releasing floor plans. you can't tell me Teeple - who's done multiple condos has never ran into this. Unless it's a recent change to the OBC?

I think it's been the rule for a long time - there's a minimum sunlight level amount that's required (not sure about the actual percentage) but frosting is allowed...it was a design or cost saving decision I'm sure. I'm happy with the glass for now, as my second bedroom will be for the kids...I'd like to have the option of giving them as much sunlight as possible when they're playing / doing homework etc., but will install roller blinds (interior side) for shutting down at night.

I'm less happy with the bathroom ceiling height and the fact that there are no ceiling lights in the bathrooms. The only fixtures are those attached to the medicine cabinets and in my mind do not provide adequate light levels for the entirety of the bathrooms. I've asked TAS to look into both the lighting and the ceiling height...they're related as the low ceiling height may not have allowed for recessed lights. It's been 24 hours since I sent an inquiry and no response yet.

To address a previous question, I upgraded the range, fridge and stove to 30" models, as well as adding pot drawers to the center of the island. The second bathroom I switched the tub to a shower.

I think it's been the rule for a long time - there's a minimum sunlight level amount that's required (not sure about the actual percentage) but frosting is allowed...it was a design or cost saving decision I'm sure. I'm happy with the glass for now, as my second bedroom will be for the kids...I'd like to have the option of giving them as much sunlight as possible when they're playing / doing homework etc., but will install roller blinds (interior side) for shutting down at night.

I'm less happy with the bathroom ceiling height and the fact that there are no ceiling lights in the bathrooms. The only fixtures are those attached to the medicine cabinets and in my mind do not provide adequate light levels for the entirety of the bathrooms. I've asked TAS to look into both the lighting and the ceiling height...they're related as the low ceiling height may not have allowed for recessed lights. It's been 24 hours since I sent an inquiry and no response yet.

To address a previous question, I upgraded the range, fridge and stove to 30" models, as well as adding pot drawers to the center of the island. The second bathroom I switched the tub to a shower.

I believe the bedroom thing is more of a fired code thing. All bedrooms need a door and window as a secondary emergency exit. they get around this by installing a fixed pane of glass and the sliding glass door next to it. I really cannot remember though, it's been 25 years since I was involved in construction, so a lot of it is hazy. But you're right, it does help having lot of glass in these types of bedrooms to get natural light in as well.

During the structural upgrades meeting I had, I added a recessed potlight to the shower. I've also seen someone elses PDI photos and they also added one. Just from the photo you can tell it really helps. Who knows how much they might charge you to add one at this point.

From discussions before buying, I understood the bathroom ceilings would be lower than everywhere else, which makes sense for venting, etc. I believe they should be 8 feet?

I believe the bedroom thing is more of a fired code thing. All bedrooms need a door and window as a secondary emergency exit. they get around this by installing a fixed pane of glass and the sliding glass door next to it. I really cannot remember though, it's been 25 years since I was involved in construction, so a lot of it is hazy. But you're right, it does help having lot of glass in these types of bedrooms to get natural light in as well.

During the structural upgrades meeting I had, I added a recessed potlight to the shower. I've also seen someone elses PDI photos and they also added one. Just from the photo you can tell it really helps. Who knows how much they might charge you to add one at this point.

From discussions before buying, I understood the bathroom ceilings would be lower than everywhere else, which makes sense for venting, etc. I believe they should be 8 feet?

At what point did you have the opportunity to talk about structural upgrades? I was not aware there was the option for communication around structure. The bathroom ceilings are far less than 8 feet, and I'm even questioning now whether they're at code minimum (+-2100cm I believe?)

At what point did you have the opportunity to talk about structural upgrades? I was not aware there was the option for communication around structure. The bathroom ceilings are far less than 8 feet, and I'm even questioning now whether they're at code minimum (+-2100cm I believe?)

What the heck is in the ceiling to make it that low..........

I just checked, my structural upgrade was early September 2016, so it depends when you purchased on whether you had this option. I'm on 7, so if you're on 2, 3 or 4, etc, yours would have been even earlier.

I was able to add nat gas hookup for BBQ, plugs, cable outlets, add/move lighting fixtures, change some to (or add) potlights etc. < All of these were very expensive (IMO) add ons, so I was selective. Actually, from looking at the docs again, I'm even more excited to see my unit.

Thanks for the info - I purchased one of the last available 2.5's last year, so I'm sure timing had a lot to do with it. I'm of course also very curious to know what is in the ceiling that affects the height that much, and whether there's a future option of changing it myself. I had the gas / gasline option, and the ability to switch the main bathroom tub to a shower, but no outlet or lighting options. At this point I've asked TAS for clarification on the height issue and light levels.

FYI, I used the google machine and you're sort of right, min ceiling height is 2100 mm for bathroom.

Now I have to go find my finishing upgrade docs. Forgotten already what finishes I selected for my bathroom LOL.

great to see people conversing in the forum now. let see some more pics as everyone does the PDI i got the kitchen upgrade with the grey
lets see some pics if anyone has..

Quick question - does anyone know if we are exclusive to Bell? I am unable to find anything about the internet/cable options for us.

Bell has reached out to me a few times specifically about this condo and offering deals. Are we required to go with them?

Quick question - does anyone know if we are exclusive to Bell? I am unable to find anything about the internet/cable options for us.

Bell has reached out to me a few times specifically about this condo and offering deals. Are we required to go with them?

That was another thing they mentioned in the meeting. We're exclusive to Bell and Rogers (LMAO). Apparently both Bell and Rogers will be calling us.

So I just got off the phone with TAS, and clarified a few things. Anyone expecting 8' ceilings in their bathrooms will be disappointed - they confirmed with me that all the bathrooms, throughout the building have ceiling heights that are code minimum, meaning 2100mm high.

So I just got off the phone with TAS, and clarified a few things. Anyone expecting 8' ceilings in their bathrooms will be disappointed - they confirmed with me that all the bathrooms, throughout the building have ceiling heights that are code minimum, meaning 2100mm high.
well, that sucks, but i hope the access hatch is not standard also

Back