News   Mar 28, 2024
 25     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 138     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Still handing out fines to dummies.

IMG_20200326_155357(5).jpg

Saw a lot more flashing lights behind cars pull over this past week than before. I guess with less traffic on the roads and something to do, pulling these illegal sign runners over is helping their shift to go past faster. Long over due.

The old saying "seeing a car in sight is a sign the system moving very well". Have seen as many as 5 cars within 2 minutes to 2 cars 10 minutes later on King going in one direction.

Saw a lot more flashing lights behind cars pull over this past week than before. I guess with less traffic on the roads and something to do, pulling these illegal sign runners over is helping their shift to go past faster. Long over due.

The old saying "seeing a car in sight is a sign the system moving very well". Have seen as many as 5 cars within 2 minutes to 2 cars 10 minutes later on King going in one direction.

Yet the fines are still lower than the fines, supposedly, for using playground equipment during this COVID-19.

Have seen as many as 5 cars within 2 minutes to 2 cars 10 minutes later on King going in one direction.
TTC needs to teach social distancing to the streetcars. It's the wild west for service on King now. The operators are clearly going however fast they feel like, and departing terminals only when they are forced to because the loop is full and they are at the front of the line.

I recently sat and talked to David Kuperman about the project's implementation and results. He also spoke about what it could mean for transit elsewhere in the city. David is currently the Transportation Manager at the city and it was great to pick his brain.

It's also available wherever else you guys get your podcasts. Feedback appreciated!

Lack of enforcement and low traffic has lead to a spike of illegal travel and left turns on King St.

Noticed the eastbound platform at Portland has a pave ramp on the west end and the old style ramp for the east end.

Those patios in the curb lanes were full to the point of long line ups that fail the 6' distance rule. A number of places require your temperature to be taken as well ask questions before being allow to sit down.This has already happen to me a few times.

This project will get push down the road for a few years, but needs to happen.

I can't remember but is there a timeline for the permanent design/further work that will take place now that it's permanent? One small example would be if they will redo the sidewalks where they created flush levels to the street for wheelchair access now that the stops have been moved to the other side. I'm thinking though about permanent designs for platforms/barricades/signage/accessibility.

Have they released anything on how these would design it for permanent operation? Maybe do a better job to force right turning.

Have they released anything on how these would design it for permanent operation? Maybe do a better job to force right turning.
Since there must be room for streetcars to pass straight through and vehicles need to be able to turn onto King to reach driveways and unload etc, I am not really sure how you can really 'do a better job to force right-turning'. Of course, the signage could be better but, as we all know from places like the QQ Streetcar tunnel, some drivers cannot read or are too stupid to do so! The plans are certainly FAR from finalised but one priority is wider sidewalks and, I bet, that will mean bump-outs at corners that may help force drivers to comply. (That said, let's not over-react to vehicles going illegally straight through on King; the VAST majority of vehicles do follow the rules and the streetcars can, usually, move along very well.)

Since there must be room for streetcars to pass straight through and vehicles need to be able to turn onto King to reach driveways and unload etc, I am not really sure how you can really 'do a better job to force right-turning'. Of course, the signage could be better but, as we all know from places like the QQ Streetcar tunnel, some drivers cannot read or are too stupid to do so! The plans are certainly FAR from finalised but one priority is wider sidewalks and, I bet, that will mean bump-outs at corners that may help force drivers to comply. (That said, let's not over-react to vehicles going illegally straight through on King; the VAST majority of vehicles do follow the rules and the streetcars can, usually, move along very well.)

Don't think much will change until Ontario MTO changes the rules to allow for red light turn arrows, and other changes. Toronto should start to use other transit signals that other jurisdictions use as well.

stock-photo-traffic-lights-with-red-arrow-to-ban-both-left-and-right-turn-47572870.jpg

From link.

fig-10d-01.gif

From link. And be able to get rid of the signage clutter that Toronto intersections are covered with.

So, is there any plan to implement a similar transit priority project on any of the other downtown streetcar lines as was mentioned a long time ago, or has city council dropped the ball as per usual?

So, is there any plan to implement a similar transit priority project on any of the other downtown streetcar lines as was mentioned a long time ago, or has city council dropped the ball as per usual?

It's the politicians who don't want to improve the traffic regulations because they did not "invent" it.

Some cities have traffic lights that display a 'T' in green, amber or red directing public-transit movement, whereas private vehicles have to follow the regular traffic light system. I have a feeling people would be less willing to drive through an intersection that displays a regular red light that sits beside a green 'T', than with the current signage system.

Back