News   Apr 16, 2024
 307     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I was walking on King between Jarvis and Yonge at 8:45pm today - very few cars on the road. Thought I suppose 8:45pm is not representative of 4-6pm.

An amazingly astute observation.

Why thank you kind sir. Here's a photo of 4464 at King and Parliament from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_091638.jpg
    IMG_20180303_091638.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 184
Do they have this sign on the east side as well? If I was a driver and never heard of this pilot or hadn't been in the area since it started, I'd be confused and would ignore it.

upload_2018-3-4_22-3-47.png
upload_2018-3-4_22-3-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-4_22-3-47.png
    upload_2018-3-4_22-3-47.png
    499.4 KB · Views: 266
  • upload_2018-3-4_22-3-57.png
    upload_2018-3-4_22-3-57.png
    508.8 KB · Views: 317
No, we can't use the portable islands here on King Street. Because it might upset the automobile god
I have never heard this (though it is certainly something that the Car Folk might say!) The reason we currently have no 'platforms' on King is that it is a temporary pilot. At the public meetings last summer there was certainly talk of building temporary/permanent sidewalk extensions but only after it became clear the pilot was working and would probably be continued and that the layout of the street was 'final'.

I have never heard this (though it is certainly something that the Car Folk might say!) The reason we currently have no 'platforms' on King is that it is a temporary pilot. At the public meetings last summer there was certainly talk of building temporary/permanent sidewalk extensions but only after it became clear the pilot was working and would probably be continued and that the layout of the street was 'final'.
The layout is "final" for the rest of the Pilot? Or final as in IT WILL NEVER CHANGE EVER?

The layout is "final" for the rest of the Pilot? Or final as in IT WILL NEVER CHANGE EVER?
I do not think it is final for rest of pilot (though it may be) and presumably the 'final" and "permanent' version will not be known until the pilot is over and evaluated. City staff were give authorisation to tweak things and I bet we see more tweaks as the weather warms up and they can experiment with more 'animation'.

Portable islands are also temporary.

Permanent is concrete poured from a cement mixer.

This thread has been quiet lately. Our friends at Kit Kat have also been quiet :p

I imagine Kit Kat and friends have realized the battle cannot be won at the city level. If they're still planning a fight, it'll be focusing on provincial legislation which could be in place before the King pilot is complete.

Doug could make it straight forward and tweak the EA process to prioritize roadway movement by vehicle count; then make a "quick" EA required for major traffic changes. Ford can even sell that as an efficiency thing (reduce study time/cost by eliminating "senseless" options).

Last edited:

Back