News   Mar 28, 2024
 939     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 831     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Honestly don't think a pedestrian mall would do that well ... maybe if they push for more offices in the northern park of DT Markham (now its only on the south part), cars help animate areas more then people think, and make what could be a dead zone otherwise function.
Just wanted to put this quote here from 2014 about the Viva Rapidway in Downtown Markham. It really speaks the truth about King Street looking dead without all the cars.

Just wanted to put this quote here from 2014 about the Viva Rapidway in Downtown Markham. It really speaks the truth about King Street looking dead without all the cars.
What is your point? The pilot scheme on King is going to see much more 'pedestrian-animation' very soon and I really don't think you can compare a street in the centre of downtown Toronto with one in Markham. The whole point of this pilot is to speed up transit and not affect other vehicles (or businesses) too much. That part seems to work as transit is both faster and more predictable and adjacent streets appear to be no busier. If you find having cars (frequently parked or stuck in traffic) right beside you while you walk on narrow sidewalks then you won't like the new King.

What is your point? The pilot scheme on King is going to see much more 'pedestrian-animation' very soon and I really don't think you can compare a street in the centre of downtown Toronto with one in Markham. The whole point of this pilot is to speed up transit and not affect other vehicles (or businesses) too much. That part seems to work as transit is both faster and more predictable and adjacent streets appear to be no busier. If you find having cars (frequently parked or stuck in traffic) right beside you while you walk on narrow sidewalks then you won't like the new King.
My point is that without all the cars on King St, people who are not intelligent enough to realize the benefits of transit priority will think the street is dead and not vibrant, when it is the complete opposite. So people who have isolated, auto-centric, war-on-the-car minds cannot comprehend the other view on the situation.

I'll take your mild insult as a result of my miscommunication of idea, so you're forgiven. :)

Reactions: DSC
Another One:
IMG_2857.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 339

Back