News   Oct 27, 2021
 419     0 
News   Oct 27, 2021
 338     0 
News   Oct 27, 2021
 515     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Neil

Member Bio
Reaction score
We're really off topic here but I'd suggest not bothering with Keele station. Push the 506 deeper into the park, go north along a Colborne Lodge alignment and loop at High Park station. Just think of the rail-fan photo ops.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Streetcars...streetcars everywhere. The first and the original (in service since Aug. 31 2014) on King at Yonge headed westbound this afternoon.

20180218_172151.jpg

Attachments

• 20180218_172151.jpg
    20180218_172151.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 163

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
And here is 4404 headed east at the farside stop at Yonge. Standing room only folks at 5:30 PM on Sunday.

20180218_172301.jpg

Attachments

• 20180218_172301.jpg
    20180218_172301.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 156

MisterF

Member Bio
Reaction score
To add to the responses to Juan's question, this thread is also helpful in exploring whether or not there's any merit to claims made by certain business owners and politicians that the pilot is killing business. So far it seems that there's not.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking at the busyness of the line/route today, if we are going to keep the street substantially free of cars, then it could be time to consider a people mover on this scale. I posted two pictures earlier today. At Yonge, there were over forty people waiting to board eastbound at 5:30 on a Sunday.

This is a nine module CAF Urbos model which is 56m in length.

Last edited:

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking at the busyness of the line/route today, if we are going to keep the street substantially free of cars, then it could be time to consider a people mover on this scale. I posted two pictures earlier today. At Yonge, there were over forty people waiting to board eastbound at 5:30 on a Sunday.

This is a nine module CAF Urbos model which is 56m in length.
As it stands, the King Project is an orphan, and as much as some will think "let's not get ahead of ourselves", a bigger vision is needed to sell this. I've taken the King car from downtown to Dundas West a number of times lately, mid to late afternoon, purely because sometimes I just can't face being a rat in the subway, and to see how much of a difference has been made on King...and I've been disappointed each time. It *crawls*! Still!

Don't get me wrong, it's an improvement, but it still has massive untapped potential to be a lower cross-town route of choice if even a *fraction* of the massive sums for say, the SSE, are spent on it.

And what is absolutely necessary for the greater vision is to look at ways to get the ends of the 'corridor' up to the subway faster, unconstrained and more effectively at either end.. Further investment in the core is necessary, obviously, but that investment must come with a vision to delivering the ridership at either end.

The present course being taken by this Mayor and Council is tinkering, not city building. Your vision for longer LRVs is apt and a good step forward. Perhaps Toronto should affect the option for more BBD Flexities by extending the present tranche instead? The load crush at peak certainly indicates that, and one longer train is able to more effectively move more people at a faster rate than two shorter ones for a number of reasons, not least being the 'pathing' factor.

Last edited:

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
That's what Levy wants. You to start discussion and arguments in her thread. It puts money in the Toronto Sun coffers, and protects Levy's jobs, with hits.

Don't fall for that scam. Just ignore her - everyone knows she's say anything for a reaction - or a hit.

Spicy Garage

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just ignore her - everyone knows she's say anything for a reaction - or a hit.

Oh, I understand — she'll obfuscate and insult 'til the cows come home — but I can't let her get away with manipulating her audience by distorting or withholding facts. If Sue-Ann doesn't tell her readers all the positive facts about the KSP, I will.

Last edited:

Megaton327

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh, I understand — she'll obfuscate and insult 'til the views come home — but I can't let her get away with manipulating her audience by distorting or withholding facts. If Sue-Ann doesn't tell her readers all three positive facts about the KSP, I will.

They aren't capable of, or interested in, comprehending those facts.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but is it possible that the businesses on the Pilot that claim to be negatively affected are actually telling the truth and the spending being "in line" with other years is because other businesses are getting more spenders? So some are losers and some are winners, but that balances it out?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but is it possible that the businesses on the Pilot that claim to be negatively affected are actually telling the truth and the spending being "in line" with other years is because other businesses are getting more spenders? So some are losers and some are winners, but that balances it out?
Of course it's possible. Averages always fail to show individual variations. The whiners MAY be getting less business because their food has got worse or more expensive, because they ARE whiners or for lots of reasons.