News   Mar 28, 2024
 94     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 555     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

King Square (Woodbine Av @ Markland St, Markham, King Sq Ltd, 9s, P+S/IBI)

The winter garden idea sounds good, but the PDF report seems hypocritical with all those photos of public transport, even though I know full well that the area is far from ever becoming a hub for transit.

I bet that this development will be taken over by us Asians once it's finished (just like Rob Ford said!). All the retail areas will be taken up by bubble-tea shops, herbal medicine stores, Chinese food courts, DVD stores, etc.

Interestingly, a block north of the site on Woodbine is Markham Chinese Baptist Church. It has created quite a lot of density with an oversized multistory parking garage.

@scarberiankhatru: Where @ Hwy 7 would you put it? I know there is a good amount of vacant land around the area, but where exactly?

@wyliepoon: I'm sure those homeowners were happy about that giant parking garage! What a great view they have now.

What a weird location...put it on Hwy 7 instead!

Agreed. These municipalities keep talking land use which supports transit and spend money setting up things like VIVA, then allow land use which doesn't fit the plan. A hotel, offices, and a convention centre belong in a downtown like the one Markham is supposedly building in the area bound by Warden, 7, Kennedy, and 407.

@scarberiankhatru: Where @ Hwy 7 would you put it? I know there is a good amount of vacant land around the area, but where exactly?

Umm...anywhere?

If memory serves me correctly on their emptiness status, here's a few sites that would be much better:
- the #7, Cochrane, Valhalla block (just east of the Delta Markham hotel).
- NW corner of Rodick & #7. This might be my first choice, still very close to the office parks, but close to thousands of people that would use the retail.
- *anywhere* between Rodick and Kennedy, north or south of #7. Even replacing the plaza at the NE corner of #7 & Warden would be ideal; the retail component could be expanded to accommodate some of what was in the plaza.

I think at one time Loblaw's wanted to build one of their big-box stores somewhere near this location. If I can remember the Town of Markham turned them down because they wanted something more prestigious than a giant grocery store. Honda is moving their headquarters here too and plans for another interchange on the 404 between 16th and Major Mac.
On another note, there were plans to build a bridge over the 404 north of Hwy 7 to alleviate traffic pressure on Hwy 7 and connect the huge business parks on either side. Is this still going to happen?

This thread title always leaves me thinking of Rexdale + 27. I'm not alone, I guarantee you

This thread title always leaves me thinking of Rexdale + 27. I'm not alone, I guarantee you

No, you are not alone. I first thought this had something to do with the Woodbine Race Track project. Woodbine could mean several areas in the GTA: Rexdale, Markham, and East Toronto. Plus there is Woodbine Jr. H.S. near Don Mills and Sheppard.

Kennedy and Steeles is another common locale: Brampton and Scarborough/Markham.

Umm...anywhere?

If memory serves me correctly on their emptiness status, here's a few sites that would be much better:
- the #7, Cochrane, Valhalla block (just east of the Delta Markham hotel).
- NW corner of Rodick & #7. This might be my first choice, still very close to the office parks, but close to thousands of people that would use the retail.
- *anywhere* between Rodick and Kennedy, north or south of #7. Even replacing the plaza at the NE corner of #7 & Warden would be ideal; the retail component could be expanded to accommodate some of what was in the plaza.

The #7/Cochrane/Valhalla block does seem like a perfect spot for it.

Not too sure if the NW corner of Rodick & #7 would be big enough ever since the new commercial building was put up there sometime ago.

Remington Group seems to own most of that land now in the area of #7/Warden, so I doubt they would ever sell it to such a development.

I always thought that the area between 404/Commerce Valley Dr E, South of #7 was a good enough spot for something like this.

Maybe if municipalities stopped prostrating themselves in front of developers for 5 seconds, they could have secured or planned for a better site or two.

King Square (King Square Ltd / Mixed Use)

I haven't seen a post for this yet and I believe this is all very new. My first new thread, so I apologize for the title format being incorrect (pls correct as needed) Anyways...

King Square:
A Mix Use building stated to be "a multi-functioned, high efficiency, modern metropolitan complex: commerce, business, residence, hotel, restaurants, banquet hall, leisure and recreation"

Location: Woodbine & Markland Drive (close to 16th Avenue) in Markham.

Developer: King Square Ltd.
Architect: Page + Steele IBI Group

That's all I've heard at the time.

not exactly a new application ... but definitely news for UT's purposes ...thanks kalvinone !

This project was submitted under the name of "Woodbine International Centre", the proposal contains:
  • 3 connected buildings on the southwest portion of the site fronting Markland Street, 9 storey each, for short-term and long-term stay hotel
  • 3 storey building on the eastern portion fronting Woodbine Avenue containing conference & convention centre, offices, restaurants and fitness/spa facility
  • ground level retail shopping centre & winter garden
Here are the related Markham Planning Staff Reports:
Some visuals ~ :cool:

East Elevation (Woodbine Avenue)
Woodbine_eastjpg.jpg

South Elevation (Markland Street)
Woodbine_south.jpg

Site Plan - nice big green roof proposed
Woodbine_SP.jpg

Ground Floor Plan
Woodbine_ground.jpg

Rendering of Winter Garden - this is pretty cool
Woodbine_wintergarden.jpg

Website is up: http://www.kingsquare.ca/home.html

I hear that the price on the first floor ranges from $900 - $1,200/sq.ft and second floor at $800 - $1,000/sq.ft...

By the looks of the site, it appears Oriental Mart is opening there... and the main brokerage owns Ritz Carlton.. :)

Back