Toronto King Portland Centre and Kingly Condos | 57.6m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

bengajin:

As per gristle from the last page:

The lower portion of the building would be done in brick with the upper floors using a more articulated precast cladding.

Precast CAN work well -see 1 St. Thomas, though I'd probably expect one step down for this project.

AoD

Precast CAN work well -see 1 St. Thomas, though I'd probably expect one step down for this project.

Missed that detail in gristle's post.

As someone who has designed with precast before, I would have to agree - it can be used elegantly. It just needs the right details.

Based on the presentation, there is clearly some interesting cooperation going on between the three developers looking to build on the block (111 Bathurst and the adjacent parking lot owned by Plazacorp), local building owners and the city.

I havent seen anything proposed by Plazacorp for 525 Adelaide as of yet so interesting that they are cooperating and havent released any proposal themselves for their site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing much has been shown, but they did do a quick presentation at the Community Meeting and did mention interest in the idea of a block plan.

I like the density that the building brings, but the design seems pretty messy to me. Especially the tops of the building(s) section(s). And what is with the arches?

Love the arches, and the brick colour. (Though it is a vernacular I'd more expect to see in Yorkville, or the Esplanade.) Promising.

Renders from Context

620KingAdelaide-ViewRend.jpg

620King-CourtyardRend.jpg

The second image above was from the presentation. It shows the building from approximately the foot of Adelaide Place.

This:

95625f2_20.jpeg

evokes thoughts of Poland or German because it probably is. There is no part of the proposed building which resembles what is depicted in that 'render.'

Wow. I haven't seen anything this...visceral in it's texturing go up in Toronto in years, I think. Very, very interesting. You guys are right - it's like Hazleton Lanes by way of the Esplanade revisited!...but with added deliberate oomph. It's a bold move playing the base off the upper part so definitely.
It also looks like it has some of the public/private interweaving of spaces that characterized some of the really great '70's projects. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Back