Toronto King Portland Centre and Kingly Condos | 57.6m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

The existing facade at 620 king is fake and has absolutely no historic value. The original rendering did not reuse any part of this building.
I like the new rendering.
Good luck selling it though, at 2100 sqft units to start, that's pricey for Yorkville, no less King West at Portland.
S'Bus

The existing facade at 620 king is fake and has absolutely no historic value. The original rendering did not reuse any part of this building.

Regretfully, I must agree--not that such 80s-adulteration doo-daddery lacks merit; but it's weird how many people think it's actually older.

And if anything's being reused, it's probably less on historic than on tax-saving grounds.

Context is finally doing a project in King West!
I look forward to seeing the new design. I really like how their developments turn out.

Very excited that Context is building here. Three years later, I'm no longer concerned at all about what happens to the existing faux-historic building.

This is a much more significant development than the previous proposal. It's also worth noting that the architect is now Hariri Pontarini (who's offices are actually located nearby at 602 King - within the same block).

Based on the presentation given at the recent Community Meeting, the proposed building will now extend from 620 King all the way to Adelaide Street and will contain about 230 units. The structure will step up in height from both King and Adelaide streets to a maximum height of 18 floors (about 65 metres) right in the middle of the block. Building heights will be much lower on both King and Adelaide. It appears that this mid-block step-up will allow for some very generous outdoor spaces for the penthouse suites. It's also worth noting that the structure will not be a simple slab running from street to street. Instead, there is considerable articulation in the building that should reduce the impact of such a wide structure.

On the ground, there is to be an extensive series of mid-block pedestrian links from Bathurst, King, Adelaide and Portland. This interior block treatment was very impressive and obviously some great care was taken in the planning. There would be green space, tree preservation and walkways that go beyond the typical utilitarian design found in the area. The ground level treatment of the building includes two floor height archways and mid-block retail spaces. The lower portion of the building would be done in brick with the upper floors using a more articulated precast cladding. Full details of that portion of the building were not available for the presentation.

Based on the presentation, there is clearly some interesting cooperation going on between the three developers looking to build on the block (111 Bathurst and the adjacent parking lot owned by Plazacorp), local building owners and the city. Adam Vaughan mentioned the possible use of a zoning mechanism that would enable the creation of an exclusive block plan that could prevent any excess mid-block height to be later used as a precedent at any future OMB hearings. This might allow for the addition of more mid-block green space to be included.

https://twitter.com/#!/TalkCondo

Rendering tweeted by TalkCondo

contz.png

Back