Toronto King Portland Centre and Kingly Condos | 57.6m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

Disappearing bollards. First time I can think of seeing these in Toronto:

5DB0654A-4A0A-423B-870D-759F5C23DD44.jpeg

Also, public or not, this asphalt lane way is still terrible. It’s the main access to the office lobby by the looks of it as well..

706DB218-CC8B-4B26-8013-42E8F8033E58.jpeg

Disappearing bollards. First time I can think of seeing these in Toronto:

Also, public or not, this asphalt lane way is still terrible. It’s the main access to the office lobby by the looks of it as well..

Agreed! The City should certainly refinish this in a contextual manner!

Agreed! The City should certainly refinish this in a contextual manner!
no way Allied can't help out financially in the matter, given its purpose of servicing the main entrance to its building? Or are there other issues such as public works not wanting to maintain a cobble laneway?

Exactly what the city should be installing at large public places (ie: City Hall, Union Station) but our politicians are too status-quo oriented and unambitious to do it.

The ones here don’t look like they would actually stop a vehicle if it wanted to go through - simply put a nice dent in the bumper.. but yes, perhaps heavier duty ones could be created for those spaces as commonly seen in Europe.

Certainly anything is better than the mess sitting in front of Union right now. Mind you the city apparently can’t figure out how to make a laneway out of anything but asphalt.. let alone install some extensive bollard systems.

I would imagine those negotiations happened and the result is what you see today.

I know that with the 102 Yorkville property, First Capital actually offered to pay for and install pavers at the rear of the new building but the City insisted on regular sidewalk material.

I know that with the 102 Yorkville property, First Capital actually offered to pay for and install pavers at the rear of the new building but the City insisted on regular sidewalk material.
I believe the developers of 51 Camden also wanted to install their own brick paving materials outside the entrance, but the city was having none of it, so we're getting the regular concrete.

We can't pile on the city too hard either. They're just looking out for long term maintenance. It's easy to propose / install something that looks beautiful and just walk away from the ever-mounting costs of upkeep.

This is why when you do see improved materials, they're outside office buildings, where a maintenance contract is built in. 51 Camden and 102 Yorkville, as hotel and retail uses, are a bit difficult to explain though...

Back