Toronto King Portland Centre and Kingly Condos | 57.6m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

The brick in and of itself is fine but the white makes me see Berczy 2.0. Meanwhile the original Context proposal was so much better. (yes, yes, i know, we get office)

That's worth it in it self, even if it was the ugliest thing ever ; - )

WTF are they doing to this thing they just need to stop redesigning this before it becomes a complete POS

Theres a rendering on the riocan website that i hadn't seen before. I'm not sure if it's new or not
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.24.11 AM.png

http://www.riocan.com/development-portfolio/development/king-street-and-portland-street

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.24.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.24.11 AM.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 2,086
From today's Joe Cressy's Ward 20 Constituents' Newsletter:

Pre-application Development Consultation - Tuesday March 24, 6-9pm, Metro Hall, 55 John Street
This meeting will present development proposals for ....... and 602-620 King St W. There will be an opportunity for questions and comments from the audience.

Looks like project is being amended to 14 and 12 floors. From the NOTICE OF APPLICATION(S) received today:

Application to Amend Zoning Bylaw - Application No: 13 215423 STER 20 OZ

For a mixed use building with 14 storeys residential fronting on Adelaide Steet West and 12 storeys (office) uses fronting on King Street West.

Dan Nicholson, Planner

Mods - you may want to update the floor counts in the title....

We now have a whole bunch of updated renderings in our dataBase file for the project, showing the changes that have been made to the design. More info in the front page story!

Qz5r4xAQcL.jpeg

Attachments

• Qz5r4xAQcL.jpeg
    Qz5r4xAQcL.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of beautiful little details - check out the full set of renderings in the dataBase file - and the front page story spells out what's happening here… including construction!!

The brick is great. That little bit of ornamentation goes such a long way to make the pedestrian experience more inviting.

From afar it doesn't look quite as striking as the original proposal, however after some deeper digging lots of beautiful little details start to appear (as I42 mentioned). The brickwork ornamentation looks (potentially; execution is key) fantastic, without being contrived or historicist. What makes a lot of the old brick factory buildings in this neighbourhood special is the beautiful attention to detail in brickwork, and this looks like it pays respect while actually updating the theme- the complete opposite of the faux trite that attempts to look old-timey by nonsensically throwing up some mansard roofs or corinthian columns.

Ironically though this almost makes the upper portion look like a modern addition to an older building, however if it maintains its airy lightness the whole thing could pull together nicely. Fingers crossed.

I'm thrilled that they're keeping the huge brickwork arches. That was my favourite part of the previous Context design.

I'm amazed that through all the iterations that have come and gone the quality and attention to detail have remained relatively intact. Allied seems to have the Midas touch or at the very least a sense of pride in their work and genuine care for the communities they build in. It seems that one does not have to be a cynical carpet-bagger to be successful developer in this town.

Yes, and that's made even more impressive by the fact that this comes through even in a partnership with the often lamentable RioCan.

Back