News   Apr 24, 2024
 629     0 

Junction Triangle Lofts (229 Wallace, Ashley Ross, 2s) COMPLETE

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Developer Ashley Ross, who most recently brought the supercool Richmond Town Manors to the west end of that street, is now completing work on the 10-unit Junction Triangle Lofts @ 229 Wallace Avenue. The red brick two-floor building is designed to fit with the area's early industrial vernacular. The rapidly gentrifying area sports new galleries on Bloor, Wallace Film Studios down the road, and the multi-billion dollar video game giant Ubisoft Entertainment with its brand new Toronto headquarters directly across the street. Hundreds of highly-skilled new economy jobs have come to the area.

JunctionTriangleLofts750.jpg

The Junction Triangle neighbourhood already attracts artists and entrepreneurs who rent space, and Ross believes some would prefer to own their unit outright. What they can own is a 2,850 square-foot unit priced from $619,900. Potential uses are vast, allowing for retail, commercial, workshops, studios and more. Ross sees owners/investors using the spaces for software design and development, artist and photography studios, communication and broadcasting, publishing, custom workshops for sheet metal, carpentry, welders’ or contractors’ shops, performing arts studios and workshops, food wholesale/bakery/catering businesses, possible community service clinics or health centres, and even the option of brew-on-premises.

JunctionTriangleCafe750.jpg

The light-industrial retail first floor of each unit is 1,430 square feet, with 14’8†ceilings and a walk-in entrance off Wallace Avenue. There is another entry at the rear, as well as a 10’ high overhead door with automatic door opener and parking for two cars. This floor also has a two-piece handicap-accessible finished bathroom. The 1,250 square-foot studio/workshop loft is an open-concept space with a 10’ ceiling, three-piece finished bathroom with glass enclosed shower, separate entrance off Wallace Avenue, and an entrance from the rear parking area. Plus, there is an open 180 square-foot rear roof terrace off this level.

JunctionTriangleStudio750.jpg

I don't pass by this site that often, but when I did several months ago and I was quite surprised to see a development like this there with what looked like multiple storefronts on a side street of houses and a few converted factory buildings. The development is a major improvement over what was there previously.

Last edited:
Junction Triangle Lofts at 229 Wallace Avenue, by developer Ashley Ross, builder of the much-admired Richmond Town Manors, provides fresh opportunities for small business to thrive in the local community. The heritage-looking commercial block, with red brick, arched windows, and gooseneck lighting, encompasses ten freehold work lofts of equal size designed for maximum flexibility and liveability on two floors.

Text by Doug Convoy, Photos by Craig White

JunctionTriangleP1200444.jpg

The work lofts feature an industrial aesthetic, with polished concrete floors, exposed joists, primed concrete block, and 14’ 8” ceilings on the main floor with a clear span of 21’ x 69’. Second floor ceilings are punctuated by skylights.

JunctionTriangleP1200447.jpg

JunctionTriangleP1200452.jpg

Each unit contains 1430 square feet of open space on the main floor and 1250 square feet on the second floor, with a 180 square-foot, south-facing upstairs terrace.

JunctionTriangleP1200451.jpg

Main floor frontages have oversized, double-glazed insulated windows for extra light and visibility at grade.

JunctionTriangleP1200443.jpg

Main front entries have two separate, insulated doors for access to both floors or just one at owners’ discretion. There is an additional insulated entry door at the rear on the main floor and one at the rear on the second floor. There is also a 10’ x 10’ sectional garage door at the rear on the main floor for fuller accessibility.

JunctionTriangleP1200442.jpg

Every loft is outfitted with a two-piece finished washroom on the main floor and a three-piece washroom with shower on the second floor. There is also a rough-in for a kitchen on the second floor. There are two gas-fired heating units, two HVAC units, and two wall-mounted thermostats in every loft, one per floor. Each unit comes with two parking spots.

JunctionTriangleP1200454.jpg

The adaptable work lofts have attracted a diverse cross-section of businesses to date, including a Yoga and Pilates studio, a medical office, an animation studio, a clothing manufacturer, and a caterer. This augurs well for the long-established yet newly-named neighbourhood of The Junction Triangle as it consolidates its post-industrial identity in the new century.

JunctionTriangleP1200460.jpg

JunctionTriangleP1200456.jpg

Last edited:
Oh you beat me to the post. I had photos taken about a month ago...but depressing stuff happened that got in the way of photo updates...:( Reminds me of Ballard (Seattle) for some reason. A friend and I nearly bought this property when house hunting March 2009--congrats Ashley on beating us; our concept would've been similar but I was hoping for three floors here.

My prediction: Perth/Wallace/Dovercourt area becomes a sort of Kensington Market West. I still regret not buying that pos $190,000 Ward St home in March 2009. Wallace and Perth are part of my identity, so perhaps some day I'll own property in the 'hood.

Last edited:
14 December 2012: Crazy--I live 15 minutes' walk from this site yet hadn't been by it in two years. It looks great and has a vibrant espresso cafe: Cafe Neon (same owners as Bloor West's Bar Neon I guess.) I'd love to see more infill developments such as this project, including even more contemporary architecture. City Place, Yonge & Wellesley and Yonge & Eglinton tower in park etc slabs need stuff like this to fill out the urbanity of the 'hood. Lotsa room between and around all these new and old towers for stuff like this imo.

20121214140741.jpg

20121214140820.jpg

Back