556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

Jobs with Developers?

Bentley

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping some of the experts here might be able to give me some advice.

I just graduated from university and am looking to enter the exciting world of property development. I know it's a big industry, so to be more specific I'm interested in working for a developer (or a large enough company that has their own development arm) in any role where I can learn the entire development process. From due diligence to land acquisition, to dealing with planning committees and architects/engineers, to financing and marketing, to construction and sales, etc. The whole 9 yards.

I'm just not sure what sort of experience is required for entry level (or even internship) positions.

Any info you guys can provide would be sincerely appreciated!

My gut feeling is that you probably need to go into real estate sales, and work your way up from there. Or you could go to law school, or get an mba, and approach it from those ends.

I do plan on getting my MBA, but any good business school wants a minimum of 2 years work experience before you start their MBA. That's why I was hoping to get in with a developer before hand and then go back for my MBA in a few years.

Thanks for the info!

haha, I think he's got enough problems at the moment. I don't know if he's got the time to show someone like me the ropes.

On a similar note, I too want to get into real estate but from a Real Estate Appraiser perspective. The Ontario Association of the Appraisal Institute of Canada (OA-AIC) has several designations that one can obtain. I only have financial background but I am thinking of making a career change and getting a designation. I know you can get jobs with the gov't, banks. etc. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this field. tHANKS.

I'll have to look into them. I'm planning to do an MBA (or Master of Science in Real Estate Development MSRED) but any good grad school wants a minimum of 2 years work experience for their MBA prospects. I just graduated from undergrad so I'm looking for that entry level position to hold me over until the MBA rolls around.

I'll have to look into them. I'm planning to do an MBA (or Master of Science in Real Estate Development MSRED) but any good grad school wants a minimum of 2 years work experience for their MBA prospects. I just graduated from undergrad so I'm looking for that entry level position to hold me over until the MBA rolls around.

Given the experience / skills you are looking for are very wide (start to finish) I would recommend that you call / network with smaller developers. I have a few contacts in larger companies who always complain that their ability to see the whole picture is constrained by their 'silos' [most of these people started their 'careers' getting coffee in commercial brokerage houses]. Obviously if you are looking to focus on urban development the usual suspects in the condo business are the likely candidates. Have you tried the Canadian Urban Institute? They usually have decent networking events...

Good Luck!

No I haven't cheked them out. I've been looking at going to some BOMA seminars, and I've been scouring through the www.bildgta.ca site for job postings.

I've had a few meetings with some developers (some of the bigger condo guys and a few smaller developer as well) but the biggest issue has been a lack of openings so hopefully in the new year with some people making job related resuloutions and moving to bigger and better things, an opening will present itself.

VoiceofReality, I'm sending you a PM

Why not get a job as a property manager or property accountant until it's time to do your MBA?

You'll learn a lot more than twidling your thumbs or doing coffee erans at a big firm.

It's funny you mention property management, because that's what I'm currently doing. I've sort of been taken under the wing of a real estate investor and he's taught me as much as he can. I help him manage a fairly large portfolio for an individual (about 60,000 sq ft of commercial, 10,000 retail, and 50 or so residential units) but we both sort of feel if I want to learn the larger side of the development business, a job with a developer is where I need to be.

I don't necessarily mind doing the coffee runs to pay my dues. I think I'm pretty good at absorbing information and understanding environments so just being in the development business no matter how miniscule my role is would probably be excellent learning.

But worst comes to worst and I can't find anything, this current position wouldn't be the worst job in the world, haha.

Once again I appreciate all the input. Thanks a lot

Bump because I'm still looking for a job in development.

In case there are any developers or people with contacts here, I'm currently enrolled in the OREA real estate courses to continue my learning, and am also now a member of the Urban Land Institute where I'm attending any and all of their seminars. I'm also going to be volunteering on the sponsorship committee for the ULI Toronto District Council.

I don't know if any of that makes me more attractive a hire, but it certainly can't hurt so I'm just putting it out there.

This thread hasn't been active for awhile, however I thought I would post regardless since it articulates my current situation rather well.

I am a soon to be Business school graduate majoring in Finance minoring in Marketing, and I have been really wanting to make the move to Toronto to get involved in property development. I'm really willing to start anywhere that helps with that end goal. I have done very well in school, and have been in the Army for 8 years with a deployment to Afghanistan. Was wondering if anyone could give me any further pointers. I have applied for many positions in the Toronto area, however I think me currently living in Winnipeg hinders any consideration for a job.

Thanks, also any advice on moving to Toronto would be much appreciated.

This thread hasn't been active for awhile, however I thought I would post regardless since it articulates my current situation rather well.

I am a soon to be Business school graduate majoring in Finance minoring in Marketing, and I have been really wanting to make the move to Toronto to get involved in property development. I'm really willing to start anywhere that helps with that end goal. I have done very well in school, and have been in the Army for 8 years with a deployment to Afghanistan. Was wondering if anyone could give me any further pointers. I have applied for many positions in the Toronto area, however I think me currently living in Winnipeg hinders any consideration for a job.

Thanks, also any advice on moving to Toronto would be much appreciated.

If you're not a member of BILD and ULI Toronto you may wish to join and attend events that interest you (if you're able to do so in Toronto).
http://www.bildgta.ca/membership_reasons.asp
http://toronto.uli.org/

Good luck and thank you for your service to our country.

Back