News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Jarvis Street

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a number of things happening on Jarvis St. so I thought I'd create a new thread for it. Below is the 1st entry. This building is just below Carlton. With the empty parking lot beside it this could be a development site. A condo here would have a pleasant view of Allan Gardens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 2C5

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 221739 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jul 16, 2010

Project: Other Demolition

Description: Permit to demolish existing 2 storey studio space.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.661653,-79.376372&spn=0.000462,0.001363&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.661754,-79.376415&panoid=b_mY3pZpNHs1Bc0wSXX9Xg&cbp=12,251.47,,0,-2.62

jarvis and king has one of my favourite buildings. on the northwest corner is this geat old deco building that was (i'm not sure if it still is) a canadian bank of commerce building, the st. lawrence market is my favourite venue downtown. i have alot of memories there

Demolition started over a week ago, and the building is now "just a shell".

As of today (just walked by now) There's another building/studio directly behind 308 Jarvis, facing Mutual street (and McLear place) that is having it's walls removed. The buildings have been empty for a long time (years), so definitely someone has plans finally for the space - It's a big lot. Not sure what's going to happen to 314 Jarvis (the house), as I thought it was heritage.

Demolition started over a week ago, and the building is now "just a shell".

As of today (just walked by now) There's another building/studio directly behind 308 Jarvis, facing Mutual street (and McLear place) that is having it's walls removed. The buildings have been empty for a long time (years), so definitely someone has plans finally for the space - It's a big lot. Not sure what's going to happen to 314 Jarvis (the house), as I thought it was heritage.

It looks to me like the House at 314 will be coming down along with the other two buildings. It has been abandoned and currently homeless people use its covered porch to sleep. The McLear Digital studio had some interesting history. It was CHUMS first Live recording studio (built in 1948). RCA took it over and turned it into a recording studio. According to the below site some big names have recorded here including musical Icons such as James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Picket, Ringo Starr.

http://www.mcclear.com/main page.htm

This will be a great location for a Condo.

I also notice that the former Club Baths Toronto - just next door - is undergoing a remake. I heard a rumor that it is being converted into a "swingers club"

Does anyone know what is going to go up or how high they can build without rezoning ... I'd hate to see a 30+ story condo here

Not right on Jarvis, but legendary enough to be.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 667
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5C 2H6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 145264 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Apr 5, 2013

Project: Apartment Building Conversion

Description: Proposal to convert 2nd and 3rd floors of existing building to 31 private rooms with private bathrooms.

I noticed a new hotel just opened on Jarvis, south of Gerrard. I think it was a Quality Inn. (east side) The east side of downtown is getting all the discount hotels.

I noticed a new hotel just opened on Jarvis, south of Gerrard. I think it was a Quality Inn. (east side) The east side of downtown is getting all the discount hotels.

Comfort Inn. Formerly the Ambassador Hotel.

Back